Yeast nutrient additions to sugar wash

Sugar wash info and questions

Yeast nutrient additions to sugar wash

Postby NeddyJ » Fri May 22, 2020 10:24 am

Not sure if this has been posted but just wanting to know how much yeast nutrient do people add to their sugar washes. How much do people believe is too much etc. I've heard it can be bad to add too much?
Cheers.
NeddyJ

equipment: 2" copper pot still, 2" homemade LM 1500 high (black scoria packing), 4" homemade LM 1500ish high (black scoria packing), plus 4" 5 plate, 75l homemade boiler with 2x 2200w elements.

Re: Yeast nutrient additions to sugar wash

Postby Jono » Sat May 23, 2020 9:13 am

NeddyJ wrote:Not sure if this has been posted but just wanting to know how much yeast nutrient do people add to their sugar washes. How much do people believe is too much etc. I've heard it can be bad to add too much?
Cheers.

Hey mate,

I'm new to distilling and the only thing I've ever added to a birdwatchers tpw is the tomato paste and lemon juice... Just Google birdwatchers calculator... Oh and I only make the SG to around 1070 as recommended for flavour! Aerate the shite out of it with a paint mixer on a battery drill too and it will ferment like a mofo.

Cheers,

Jono
Jono

equipment: 50L Beer keg boiler with two 2.4kw elements, a kegland controller, 2 inch Bokakob aka Billy Bob Boka and Jack the stripper a 2.5inch shell and tube condenser for pot mode or stripping... Building up to getting a 4 inch plate still

Postby NeddyJ » Wed May 27, 2020 10:26 am

Hey Jono,

I'm well aware of the famous birdwatchers, just fiddling around to get something different/better if i can, and i have heard that DAP is a better source of nutrients and has (in the right doses) exactly what the yeast needs in nutrition. Ill also be changing up the yeasts used too to see what works faster, better etc don't get me wrong tp and bakers yeast, it is great just trying to see what else is out there.
NeddyJ

equipment: 2" copper pot still, 2" homemade LM 1500 high (black scoria packing), 4" homemade LM 1500ish high (black scoria packing), plus 4" 5 plate, 75l homemade boiler with 2x 2200w elements.

Postby Sam. » Wed May 27, 2020 11:12 am

NeddyJ wrote:Hey Jono,

I'm well aware of the famous birdwatchers, just fiddling around to get something different/better if i can, and i have heard that DAP is a better source of nutrients and has (in the right doses) exactly what the yeast needs in nutrition. Ill also be changing up the yeasts used too to see what works faster, better etc don't get me wrong tp and bakers yeast, it is great just trying to see what else is out there.

A lot of people use TPW etc because it works and its CHEAP!

DAP is not the only thing yeast need, yes you can add a whole heap of different things to keep the yeast happy and get a faster ferment but all depends how much money you want to spend to do it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby The Stig » Wed May 27, 2020 11:34 am

If all you want is something to work faster go for a turbo wash.
If your not willing to wait a couple of weeks for a ferment to finish maybe you need a new hobby
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby NeddyJ » Wed May 27, 2020 5:19 pm

I know tpw is cheap and it works well too, its a great recipe and I don't necessarily want a faster fermentation, I have done meads in the past so im not going anywhere and turbo can go in the bin as it is awful in my opinion. I'm purely doing this for experimental purposes.
There are many different sources that state different amounts of nutrient just want to get a guage if anyone is using it at all. Plus I have heard that in high dosages it can be unsafe?
NeddyJ

Postby Sam. » Wed May 27, 2020 5:36 pm

If your putting in more than is needed its a waste anyway, if your using food grade DAP then it shouldn't be a problem.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby NeddyJ » Wed May 27, 2020 5:57 pm

That seems to be the problem though, there are lots of sources that state different amounts, i have seen 1g/1L and 1g/5L and i cannot seem to find a definitive answer, just wanting to see an average use if at all as i know a lot of people love TPW understandably.
NeddyJ

Postby Sam. » Wed May 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Really depends on what else your putting in the wash mate
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby NeddyJ » Thu May 28, 2020 5:15 pm

At this point all it will be will be is sugar, citric or lemon juice for ph adjustment, and multi vitamin pills, biotin, epsom salts and folic acid for vitamin supplement.
NeddyJ

Postby Sam. » Thu May 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Yeah I would put some DAP in there then
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby The Stig » Thu May 28, 2020 6:24 pm

All I ever did was sugar , water, tomato paste and yeast.
Never added anything else
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Thu May 28, 2020 7:48 pm

Try the other recipes wbab ffv etc..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Thu May 28, 2020 8:55 pm

I only ever do the WBAB or my version of it.
Weetbix , sugar , water and yeast . Nothing else .
I like the KISS principle
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby NeddyJ » Thu May 28, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple too, though i cannot help but to experiment! It's fun, ill give all the recipes a go eventually, thats what I love about this hobby.
My recipe is sort of a play off of ffv just with some other vitamins, just seeing how it goes
NeddyJ

Postby Sam. » Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 am

NeddyJ wrote:I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple too, though i cannot help but to experiment! It's fun, ill give all the recipes a go eventually, thats what I love about this hobby.
My recipe is sort of a play off of ffv just with some other vitamins, just seeing how it goes

If you can do better than the already "tried and proven" we are all ears ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby M8Harry » Fri May 29, 2020 4:45 am

George who does Barley and hops on youtube has a few vids on yeast and yeast nutrient.

Have a look over there.

He also talks about adding pasteurized yeast as nutrient to a wash as well, inactive / pasteurized yeast is available from shops maybe that may help your research / experimentation.
M8Harry

equipment: Pure distilling Reflux Still with a 25L boiler

5 star mk2 visualiser and 50L milk can boiler

Postby NeddyJ » Fri May 29, 2020 11:02 am

Sam. wrote:If you can do better than the already "tried and proven" we are all ears ;-)

If i stumble upon anything worth it I'll be sure to post it here!
NeddyJ

Postby NeddyJ » Fri May 29, 2020 11:03 am

M8Harry wrote:George who does Barley and hops on youtube has a few vids on yeast and yeast nutrient.

Have a look over there.

He also talks about adding pasteurized yeast as nutrient to a wash as well, inactive / pasteurized yeast is available from shops maybe that may help your research / experimentation.

Cheers M8 Harry, ill take a good look!
NeddyJ

Postby RC Al » Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Just so you know, pasteurised means boiled, no need for a health food shop as you can easily achieve that at home. Im sure its mentioned in one of the tried and true neutral washes

Im sure George is great at making beer, please significantly question any of his distilling theory though, plenty of misinformation through his vids
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Next

Return to Sugar wash's