Yeast nutrient additions to sugar wash

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Yeast nutrient additions to sugar wash

Postby bluc » Sat May 30, 2020 4:01 pm

:text-+1: if you wanna use dead yeast
As nutrient collect sediment in bottom fermenter and boil it. One ferment will give you heaps. If fermenting on the grain wash trub / grain bed retaining fluid boil it lit sit to cool seperate settle. Pour water off leaving enough to cover it (you could prob freeze at this point also) add to new ferment.Way cheaper then buying it..
Last edited by bluc on Sat May 30, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby corrymeela » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:12 pm

my tpw takes 7 days to ferment out,
macrum wash takes 3 days.
both at 30 c,same bakers yeast,produces same amount of spirit.
question-i am assuming the molasses is acting as yeast nutrient in macrum,so would molasses be better nutrient for sugar wash than tomato paste?
has anyone tried?
am i missing something with this line of thought?
sorry if this has been covered elsewhere and i have missed the thread.
corrymeela

equipment: 50L milk keg
4" neutraliser

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Not for neutral near impossable to remove rum flavour from any molasses wash..

Molasses in mcrum is there for flavour and as a fermentable btw..
Last edited by bluc on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 pm

corrymeela wrote:my tpw takes 7 days to ferment out,
macrum wash takes 3 days.
both at 30 c,same bakers yeast,produces same amount of spirit.
question-i am assuming the molasses is acting as yeast nutrient in macrum,so would molasses be better nutrient for sugar wash than tomato paste?
has anyone tried?
am i missing something with this line of thought?
sorry if this has been covered elsewhere and i have missed the thread.

Hey mate
I am not sure if it helps or not but my nutrigrain wash takes about 10days to ferment out sitting beside my BWKO which takes 4 days. I just put it down to Mac having AMAzing recipes , or perhaps the citrus acid doing a great job of inverting the sugars. My nutrigrain has no molasses in it that I know of.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby corrymeela » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:31 pm

i didnt mean make a molasses wash,
i meant make a sugar wash and add say 500ml molasses instead of 400g tomato paste as the yeast nutrient for 50l wash.
in the meantime,have a vegetable patch full of kale so will try that next.
corrymeela

4" neutraliser

Postby RC Al » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 am

There are plenty of alternatives to try
While molasses has got lots of nutrients, there is much flavour even in the small amount you mentioned. Part of the reason there are so many recipies is that different people will pick up on different tastes. Short of heavily watering down and running many many times (till the dunder is flavourless) there will always be a trace of flavour in the product.

My other half prefers tpw, I prefer bran based neutral - a bit of that is equipment though - I don't have the gear currently to make a high abv, near flavourless product in only 2 runs so a fair bit of flavour creeps through.

After your at it long enough you will find that you will end up using different neutral washes for different end products, but please do experiment away - with a few exceptions, the worst thing that can happen is you have to run it again

Something extra to add in for those trying different things - I've seen that a knob of butter thrown in adds cholesterol which promotes healthy cell walls for the yeast - something missing in many of the chemical mixes I've seen posted, in addition Kale has stuff that suppresses it. Butter is commonly used for anti foam, so I see no issues adding a little bit of it.

I've seen lots of posts by people who have gone down the yeast nutrients rabbit hole, they dont seem to come back quite the same so i have avoided heavy reasearch there so far :teasing-tease:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Lowie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:42 pm

Teaspoon of DAP and a multivitamin (use a mens one cos we don't need that shit in our body) and a good pinch of epson salts in a 50L FV. Good to go. :handgestures-thumbupleft: It's not that complicated...
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Shaun » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:30 pm

I am all for FFV has a wheaty undertone so is great for my bourbon and always ferments in 5 days or less, the wife prefers turbo, go figure, i stick to the recipe on here.
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:32 am

Shaun wrote: the wife prefers turbo, go figure, i stick to the recipe on here.

Has the wife drank turbo for a while? Sometimes people get a taste for their own product when that's all they drink.

Happens a lot in the beer world.....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Shaun » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 am

Sam. wrote:
Shaun wrote: the wife prefers turbo, go figure, i stick to the recipe on here.

Has the wife drank turbo for a while? Sometimes people get a taste for their own product when that's all they drink.

Happens a lot in the beer world.....

Not really, but doesn't like the wheat flavour, i have some tpw i haven,t tried yet, been sitting for about 3 months, might slip her a bottle and see the reation.
Last edited by Shaun on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Postby corrymeela » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:48 pm

So,tried kale as nutrient,lot of work processing the kale and result same as tomato paste,8 day ferment.
as experiment based on mcrum fermenting in 3 days,i tried a cup of molasses(instead of 200gm tomato paste) to 25litres sugar wash as the nutrient,
fermented out in 4 days at 30c.
no flavour came across in distilling-but have always had pure neutral with the 5 star neutraliser with 5 plates and packed section.
corrymeela

4" neutraliser

Postby ultrasuede » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:43 pm

Try sweet potato. It's been used for hundreds of years in alcohol production for good reason. It's hugely nutritious. It accounts for 90% of the diet of native pupua new guniean people and they have some of the lowest heart disease in the world.
Boil it and use it in place of tomato as a nutrient. I might do one with ya and see how it goes.
ultrasuede

equipment: Boka 1.5 metre, 50lt keg boiler and a pot still.

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's