TPW First Wash Numbers and guidance

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: TPW First Wash Numbers and guidance

Postby druwade » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:52 pm

@Howard - Interesting! I'll dial in TPW, see how I rate it and give FFV the next shot. Chasing a strong neutral that I can grow and split into generational batches for gin. I really like the idea of sacrificing some for the next ferment to produce a growing controlled and quality base.

I like the idea of inkbird, that shit is right up my alley of data and control. I'd like to take it a step further with fridge temp and wash temp. Something like Fermentrack, purely from a general overview and nerd points.

Goal is equipment now. Next up appropriate water cooling. Got a 2" pot from FSD connected to a 35L digiboil - I'm liking the idea of some bubblers and carter-head connected to a milkcan but really REALLY getting ahead of myself. Great advice on the siphon, will definitely grab it, probably grab a couple of MJ buckets or similar next. Easier for the mrs to accept versus a 120L bucket.

Thanks man! You and Peter have rally helped me out!
Last edited by druwade on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
druwade

equipment: 35L digiboiler, FSD 2" pot still... For now.

Postby howard » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:51 pm

druwade wrote:@Howard - Interesting! I'll dial in TPW, see how I rate it and give FFV the next shot. Chasing a strong neutral that I can grow and split into generational batches for gin. I really like the idea of sacrificing some for the next ferment to produce a growing controlled and quality base.

I like the idea of inkbird, that shit is right up my alley of data and control. I'd like to take it a step further with fridge temp and wash temp. Something like Fermentrack, purely from a general overview and nerd points.

Goal is equipment now. Next up appropriate water cooling. Got a 2" pot from FSD connected to a 35L digiboil - I'm liking the idea of some bubblers and carter-head connected to a milkcan but really REALLY getting ahead of myself. Great advice on the siphon, will definitely grab it, probably grab a couple of MJ buckets or similar next. Easier for the mrs to accept versus a 120L bucket.

Thanks man! You and Peter have rally helped me out!

it's up to you, but i think i read that because of the low cost for FFV & TPW it's not worth the hassle of gens with these washes.
not sure if it will improve the taste, maybe someone can confirm this.
i am contemplating the milk can as well, i am just using a brewzilla at the moment.
the concealed elements and the pump is kinda handy but i cannot connect a voltage controller to it, as it is.
i will be converting the wiring to the elements soon so i can choose to use my voltage controller or the PID via a 0-1-2 cam switch.
maybe i'll win lotto this week 8-}
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby scythe » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:57 am

Generations are used for getting more flavour.
TFFV and TPW are generally used for neutral or vodka, which want to avoid big flavour, i think this is more the reason for not doing generations than cost.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby druwade » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:12 am

scythe wrote:Generations are used for getting more flavour.
TFFV and TPW are generally used for neutral or vodka, which want to avoid big flavour, i think this is more the reason for not doing generations than cost.

You're absolutely right. Thanks!
druwade

equipment: 35L digiboiler, FSD 2" pot still... For now.

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's