Turbo 500 First Run

Sugar wash info and questions

Turbo 500 First Run

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Tue May 11, 2021 10:57 am

Ok so yesterday i fired up the T500 for the first time.

I did a 50/50, water/vinegar run. I ran it at 60C for about 20mins then closed the water off a bit and let it run up to 98C so as to get some steam happening. Only did that for a few minutes then back down to 6oC for another 10mins then shut down.

I washed out the boiler, gave the T500 a good rinse then did a sacrificial run with the Classic turbo range(6kg) range and did cuts just to get the hang of the procedure and for no other reason as u know. I have the water flow control apparatus and managed to keep the spirit output at a nice drip drip dribble as recommended, and the water out temp sat on a pretty consistent 49C, fluttering +/-1C every now and then. As the flow started to slow down(about the 4 1/2 hour mark) i slowly started closing down the water to keep the output flow right. once i reached 65C and the flow had almost stopped i shut it down. I hope i did this procedure justice and please let me know if i have made any newbie errors.

I threw away the first say 150ml. The next 1.2L was absolute window cleaner and then will be its allocation. Then after a quick temp flutter(coincidental mayb?) the taste changed. It was sort of sweet, smooth and slick on the tongue and almost tequila like.
Not real sure what i'm looking for yet with regards to acceptable neutral spirit, but i wont say it was horrible. Nevertheless, they say it is a sacrificial run for a reason, so it wont be reused.

I have another Turbo wash almost finished, and today i am going to put down a TPW and a Molasses/Dextrose wash using the distillers rum yeast, distillers enzyme and some dark spirit nutrient. I will also run a vinegar wash through my newly purchased alembic dome and condenser today as well.

So my questions are: 1. Do i use the turbo wash to do a sacrificial run on the alembic or is it not as critical as the t500 sacrificial. And in saying that will i get away with just a clean water steam run after the vinegar run.
And 2. When running both forms of stills, i have read that 3 stripping runs and collections are better but could i get away with 2 and what do i keep to put through the spirit run and can i dilute down by more than 40% just to bring the boil volume up.
McMoonshineMatt

equipment: Turbo 500 Copper Column
Still Spirit Alembic Copper Dome and Condenser

Re: Turbo 500 First Run

Postby BigRig » Tue May 11, 2021 1:09 pm

1. Turbo wash does take like crap. I personally wouldnt drink it so you might as well use it as a sac run on the alembic dome. If you then did a couple strippin runs the still would be plenty clean for a spirit run. I wouldnt bother with a clean water steaming.

2. You can do as many stripping runs as you like as long as you have enough low wines to fill the boiler for a spirit run. The general rule is low wines should not exceed 40%abv however If you wanted to run with 20%abv that is fine, you just wont get as much alcohol. (Also wont be as long a run).

The more you dilute with plain water as opposed to stripping wash down to low abv (10-20%) the less flavour you will get.
Last edited by BigRig on Tue May 11, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Tue May 11, 2021 2:35 pm

BigRig wrote:1. Turbo wash does take like crap. I personally wouldnt drink it so you might as well use it as a sac run on the alembic dome. If you then did a couple strippin runs the still would be plenty clean for a spirit run. I wouldnt bother with a clean water steaming.

2. You can do as many stripping runs as you like as long as you have enough low wines to fill the boiler for a spirit run. The general rule is low wines should not exceed 40%abv however If you wanted to run with 20%abv that is fine, you just wont get as much alcohol. (Also wont be as long a run).

The more you dilute with plain water as opposed to stripping wash down to low abv (10-20%) the less flavour you will get.

Thanks for stopping by BigRig and helping out with much needed info.

I ended up with about 3 litres(that including the first 1.2 that i thought would be window cleaner in a seperate jar) from the sacrificial run. So correct me if im wrong, if i mix those 2 jars together, water them down to 40ish then i can run that through the alembic as a sac run after the vinegar run. Is that correct?

And would it be recommended that in the alembic i do 3 seperate stripping runs from 3 seperate washes keeping the hearts from each and then do a spirit run from all 3 of those watered down to 40%.

And would this be the same procedure for the T500(but without doing cuts on the stripping runs?

Sorry for all the brain picking BigRig.
McMoonshineMatt

Postby BigRig » Tue May 11, 2021 4:53 pm

if you can put the parts in the dish washer you wont need the vinegar run. Combine the 2 jars for the sacrificial run on the alembic dome.

With the stripping runs keep everything > heads, hearts and tails, run the stripping runs down until you are getting 20% abv off the still.
combine the 3 amounts for the spirit run and do your cuts then, remembering to throw the 1st 250mls out for foreshots.

For the T500 you would use the same process but you would only use this for your neutral spirits as it strips flavour.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Tue May 11, 2021 6:10 pm

BigRig wrote:if you can put the parts in the dish washer you wont need the vinegar run. Combine the 2 jars for the sacrificial run on the alembic dome.

With the stripping runs keep everything > heads, hearts and tails, run the stripping runs down until you are getting 20% abv off the still.
combine the 3 amounts for the spirit run and do your cuts then, remembering to throw the 1st 250mls out for foreshots.

For the T500 you would use the same process but you would only use this for your neutral spirits as it strips flavour.

Many thanks BigRig. Awesome explanation! Answered my questions to a tee. :music-deathmetal:

But…….I’m sure there will be questions as I go. Thanks heaps again
McMoonshineMatt

Postby Wellsy » Wed May 12, 2021 6:54 am

Gidday Matt
Many of us on here have boilers with exposed elements, that is elements that sit in the wash. With your T500 my understanding is it uses a digiboiler that has an enclosed element, one that is under the base of the boiler.
The reason many suggest the 3 stripping runs is so that there is plenty of spirit in the boiler as anybody with an exposed element must ensure the elements stay covered at all times or as Marvin the Martian would say “ there is a kaboom, an earth shattering kaboom” and the element needs to be replaced.
Another advantage of a bigger spirit run is the cuts tend to be more pronounced due to the volume being used. With your boiler you could in theory do a spirit run after 1 stripping run.
When you run your rum wash give yourself some extra room in the boiler mate as I believe they can foam up a lot more than a regular wash.
I hope I have not added to the confusion mate as there is so much to absorb with this hobby. Have fun
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Wed May 12, 2021 10:16 am

Wellsy wrote:Gidday Matt
Many of us on here have boilers with exposed elements, that is elements that sit in the wash. With your T500 my understanding is it uses a digiboiler that has an enclosed element, one that is under the base of the boiler.
The reason many suggest the 3 stripping runs is so that there is plenty of spirit in the boiler as anybody with an exposed element must ensure the elements stay covered at all times or as Marvin the Martian would say “ there is a kaboom, an earth shattering kaboom” and the element needs to be replaced.
Another advantage of a bigger spirit run is the cuts tend to be more pronounced due to the volume being used. With your boiler you could in theory do a spirit run after 1 stripping run.
When you run your rum wash give yourself some extra room in the boiler mate as I believe they can foam up a lot more than a regular wash.
I hope I have not added to the confusion mate as there is so much to absorb with this hobby. Have fun

Hey Wellsy!

More much appreciated info. I just finished the Sac. run on the alembic using the collection of the Sac. run from the T500 as suggested by BigRig, thanks BR.i had about 2.5L@92%But i added about 5.5L of water to give me a volume in the boiler of 8L just to be safe.

Using the water flow regulator i could only manage about 1.8L/min output water flow. Acceptable or do i need the 2.5L/min some suggest?
Drips started to come out at around 55C, then slowly went up to about 87C where Abv was coming out at 81% then fluttered there for a an 40min say then slowly climbed to 90 for about 20min @50%Abv then up to 93-94 and that's where i shut it down.

Thanks for the info on only maybe doing 2 stripping runs as i was thinking the 3 stripping runs then a spirit run on the Alembic might be a too much in a 25L Boiler. Because as i understand it being a 25L Boiler, 3 watered down strips could possibly be too much for the boilers capacity? And in saying that, what actually is the highest abv you could get away with in the boiler to start your stripping run, or either run for that matter in both forms of stilling?
McMoonshineMatt

Postby BigRig » Wed May 12, 2021 12:18 pm

McMoonshineMatt wrote:
Using the water flow regulator i could only manage about 1.8L/min output water flow. Acceptable or do i need the 2.5L/min some suggest?
Drips started to come out at around 55C, then slowly went up to about 87C where Abv was coming out at 81% then fluttered there for a an 40min say then slowly climbed to 90 for about 20min @50%Abv then up to 93-94 and that's where i shut it down.

I know the t500 operates by measuring water outlet temps and using the water regulator but the pot still runs differently, if you are using the dome you want full flow. You will use a power controller to determine boil rate / alcohol take off rate. Do you have a power controller ?

Thanks for the info on only maybe doing 2 stripping runs as i was thinking the 3 stripping runs then a spirit run on the Alembic might be a too much in a 25L Boiler. Because as i understand it being a 25L Boiler, 3 watered down strips could possibly be too much for the boilers capacity? And in saying that, what actually is the highest abv you could get away with in the boiler to start your stripping run, or either run for that matter in both forms of stilling?

Assuming your fermenters are the 30L HBS variety you will get about 6 Litres of (40%) stripped low wines off a tried and proven TPW (providing you strip down to 20% off the still). if you did 3 strips then topped up to 20L line with water you will be fine. i wouldn't go over 20L.

For safety you do not want to go above 40% abv in the boiler, regardless of what run it is or still you are using. The alcohol vapour is flammable.

BigRig

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm

BigRig wrote:
McMoonshineMatt wrote:

I know the t500 operates by measuring water outlet temps and using the water regulator but the pot still runs differently, if you are using the dome you want full flow. You will use a power controller to determine boil rate / alcohol take off rate. Do you have a power controller ?

Assuming your fermenters are the 30L HBS variety you will get about 6 Litres of (40%) stripped low wines off a tried and proven TPW (providing you strip down to 20% off the still). if you did 3 strips then topped up to 20L line with water you will be fine. i wouldn't go over 20L.

For safety you do not want to go above 40% abv in the boiler, regardless of what run it is or still you are using. The alcohol vapour is flammable.

No i dont have power controller but i am thinking the way this is heading. that it will be my next purchase.

Yes i have the 30L Fermenters. But just one question, are you suggesting that i put my TPW's through the Alembic(or was it just an example), as i was going to run them through the T500 as they are only going to provide a neutral spirit.

The dark tinge that appears on the bottom of the copper dome, is it normal and do i just leave it as being seasoned so to speak, or do i try and make it shiny copper?
McMoonshineMatt

Postby BigRig » Wed May 12, 2021 4:28 pm

McMoonshineMatt wrote:
BigRig wrote:
McMoonshineMatt wrote:

No i dont have power controller but i am thinking the way this is heading. that it will be my next purchase.

Yes i have the 30L Fermenters. But just one question, are you suggesting that i put my TPW's through the Alembic(or was it just an example), as i was going to run them through the T500 as they are only going to provide a neutral spirit.

The dark tinge that appears on the bottom of the copper dome, is it normal and do i just leave it as being seasoned so to speak, or do i try and make it shiny copper?

yeah you definitely will want a power controller. without it you will run the wash too quick and it will just be a smeared mess.

Dont put the TPW through the pot unless you want alcoholic tomato soup. :puke-huge:

i was giving you an idea of the quantity you can expect from any of the tried and true recipes. They are all geared towards quality not quantity so most will yield 6-10% abv.

Now the still is cleaned just use it, don't worry about polishing it.
BigRig

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Wed May 12, 2021 6:40 pm

Ok thanks heaps BR. So I’ve just ordered a KL 4000w. Any chance if getting a quick run down on how to apply it to the boil :pray:
McMoonshineMatt

Postby BigRig » Thu May 13, 2021 12:12 am

Talking about your molasses / alembic pot run, Run it at 100% power whilst bringing wash up to temp, once you hit temp you want to dial the power down to maybe 30% to start with. You want a Drip...Drip...Drip. this will be fores so the slower you can take it off the better. collect first 250mls then throw it. After this you will start taking off heads
> then hearts > then tails. You can turn the power up to get a faster drip.drip.drip.dribble if that makes sense (maybe 40%). As the run progresses and the alcohol is depleted you will find yourself increasing the power to maintain the collection speed. When you hit the manky wet dog smell/taste you are in tails so you can put the power up to 100% and strip as much as you want to keep. These are feints and can be used at a later time.

Collect the alcohol in 250ml jars and put them aside to air for 24hrs before doing your cuts.
BigRig

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Thu May 13, 2021 4:57 am

BigRig wrote:Talking about your molasses / alembic pot run, Run it at 100% power whilst bringing wash up to temp, once you hit temp you want to dial the power down to maybe 30% to start with. You want a Drip...Drip...Drip. this will be fores so the slower you can take it off the better. collect first 250mls then throw it. After this you will start taking off heads
> then hearts > then tails. You can turn the power up to get a faster drip.drip.drip.dribble if that makes sense (maybe 40%). As the run progresses and the alcohol is depleted you will find yourself increasing the power to maintain the collection speed. When you hit the manky wet dog smell/taste you are in tails so you can put the power up to 100% and strip as much as you want to keep. These are feints and can be used at a later time.

Collect the alcohol in 250ml jars and put them aside to air for 24hrs before doing your cuts.

Many thanks again BR. So I’m presuming the 2 stripping runs, run it flat out and also when I’m doing a stripping or spirit run do I have the water flow at 2-2.5L per min for both forms of running?
McMoonshineMatt

Postby BigRig » Thu May 13, 2021 8:15 am

When stripping using the pot (dome) you want the boiler running flat out and water running flat out. the idea is to strip the alc out of the wash as quick as possible. You are focusing on quantity in. When you are doing the spirit run you are doing it slow as you are focusing on quality.

Basically anytime u are not collecting alcohol for drinking u are stripping for later use (re-running). You don't want to spend 6hrs slowly collecting manky tails you have no intention on drinking. With practice you will be able to detect tails off the still so you can open it up and strip. Until then collect everything in small jars and air, smell & taste.

With the power controller you should have all the control u
Need. 2.5L/min sounds ok, if it isnt then adjust the power controller not the water.

Lastly, when adjusting the power controller allow a couple minutes for it to work before adjusting again.
BigRig

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 am

Thanks again BigRig for your well explained info. Really appreciate it. I think i have enough info and equipment now to have a red hot crack. If i can make spirits as well i can make AG Beer i will be a happy drunk :dance:
McMoonshineMatt

Postby BigRig » Thu May 13, 2021 10:45 am

yeah mate you will be fine, get amongst it.

If you screw up, re-run it.... my first RUM was run 3 times before i got it the way i wanted :music-deathmetal:
BigRig

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Thu May 13, 2021 11:37 am

BigRig wrote:yeah mate you will be fine, get amongst it.

If you screw up, re-run it.... my first RUM was run 3 times before i got it the way i wanted :music-deathmetal:

Cheers bud :-D
McMoonshineMatt

Return to Sugar wash's