Accidental Dunder Pit

Sugar wash info and questions

Accidental Dunder Pit

Postby BigRig » Fri May 21, 2021 8:22 am

Anybody keeping a dunder pit ?

About a month ago i put a 10L container of dunder aside to be used but forgot about it. I have just found it and it is looking interesting. I cannot sense any change in smell yet and i wasn't going to taste it. It has been sealed so no concerns of bugs and shit in it.

Should i keep it and let it go ?
Should i open it up ?
Do i add sugar to it ?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Re: Accidental Dunder Pit

Postby bluc » Fri May 21, 2021 9:11 am

I think your supposed to add calcium to raise ph to allow the bacteria to flourish. They wont infect as well when its real acidic. I plan to play with dunder next year. Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby howard » Fri May 21, 2021 11:10 am

i started about 2 months ago, bought 2 x 20L pails from big green shed and fitted taps about 1/3 the way up.
first one got infected with huge swimming things and was chucked.
the latest 2, both just dunder with a couple of bottles of yakult thrown in.
one was left with 'insect proof' over the top for a few days, but they were still getting in.
this is now sealed and has a brown/green/yellow top and smells fruity.
the 2nd one has never seen the light of day and has developed a lacto top and smells of pineapple.
last week i drew 2.5l off each and added to a spirit run of rum low wines with 4L of fresh dunder.
the 28L run smelt very interesting, i thought the hearts might be very different but they weren't as funky as i thought they would be.
i collected the 40%-20% rum oils for the first time, that is a very distinctive area of tails.
early days for me :?
i did put a cup of chicken oyster grit in a hop sock into one of the pails when i topped them up.
i'm waiting for my new PH tester so i can keep one solely for testing the dunder pits/pails.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby BigRig » Sat May 22, 2021 4:21 pm

You used pit dunder and fresh dunder or you mean pit dunder and fresh wash ?

why do you think the lack of flavour ?
not enough dunder used ?
dunder wasn't mature ?
Mixing the 2 ?

I don't do stripping runs so i was thinking of using it with my next 2:1 feints run. wonder if that will allow enough flavour to come over.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby howard » Sat May 22, 2021 6:40 pm

i used pit dunder and uninfectected dunder.
i spent some time to research, but as you probably know, there are several different methods out there.
but you have to start somewhere :smile:
i've just dipped me finger in the 3L of hearts and it has developed a bit of taste.
i wrote up a plan for the low wines to be about 50% of the charge.
pit dunder to be about 25% & uninfected dunder to be 25%.
i didn't have any rum oils to add, but now i have about 1L for the next run.

i had the still in full reflux for 1 hour before reverting to pot still mode in an attempt to release esters.

the uninfected dunder is probably about 3 months old, kept in an airtight container.
i don't know if the pit dunder will get 'better', perhaps it will, perhaps i'll throw some other things in.
i'm still waiting for my 2nd PH tester to arrive so i can monitor the pit, i don't really want to use my current PH tester in different washes.

the rum oils smell wicked, apparently they will add flavour to the hearts in the next run and improve with generations.
there's a few more things to try.
like heating the charge to 58C and holding at that temp for 2 hours the day before.
adding pit dunder to the wash.
adding pit dunder to the low wines a week before distilling.
it's a minefield :?
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Return to Sugar wash's