TPW wash Clearing

Sugar wash info and questions

TPW wash Clearing

Postby Big Kev » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:31 am

Hi
I'm going to do my first TPW and run it through my Turbo 500, I was wondering if I have to clear it (I have several pks of Turbo clear) or just let it rest to settle? I hear one person mention using gelatine to clear it. Thx
Big Kev

equipment: Turbo 500.

Re: TPW wash Clearing

Postby hgwells » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:39 am

Hi Big Kev,

Depends when you want to run it. If you want to run tomorrow then use the turbo clear as it does work quite quickly.

Personally I don’t use any clearing agents on any washes anymore. I’ll let it ferment out, rack it off into another container and then let it clear for a couple of weeks.
I normally have washes at different stages so am always ready to do a run each weekend.

Hope this helps

Cheers

HG
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Big Kev » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:18 am

Ok. Thanks for the info
Big Kev

Postby iOnaBender » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:08 am

Hi Big Kev,

Do yourself a huge favour and ditch the turbo clear, who knows WTF is in that stuff! :angry-banghead:

I'll start a TPW on a weekend and run it 2 weeks later. I rack it out of fermenter on the Wednesday/Thursday before the weekend I run it then rack it into boiler on the day of the run.
When you rack it to the 2nd vessel out of the fermenter put that second vessel where it is above boiler height to siphon and more importantly, it doesn't need to moved again until emptied.

No turbo clear or carbon filtration needed at all! :happy-partydance:

Follow the "how to run a T500" thread in the newbies section to the letter and you will be golden. It adds an hour or so to the distilling process but gives a better product in the end.

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby BigRig » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:42 pm

I dont even bother racking it. I just leave it settle for a few days once its done then run it on the weekend, or the next if i am busy.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Big Kev » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:12 pm

iOnaBender wrote:Hi Big Kev,

Do yourself a huge favour and ditch the turbo clear, who knows WTF is in that stuff! :angry-banghead:

I'll start a TPW on a weekend and run it 2 weeks later. I rack it out of fermenter on the Wednesday/Thursday before the weekend I run it then rack it into boiler on the day of the run.
When you rack it to the 2nd vessel out of the fermenter put that second vessel where it is above boiler height to siphon and more importantly, it doesn't need to moved again until emptied.

No turbo clear or carbon filtration needed at all! :happy-partydance:

Follow the "how to run a T500" thread in the newbies section to the letter and you will be golden. It adds an hour or so to the distilling process but gives a better product in the end.

Cheers

Thank you, I have read the How to run the T500 and will be doing that.
Big Kev

Postby bunny » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:44 am

This may or may not be relevant.
From that other site a direct quote from birdwatcher himself. From the T&T Recipes:

Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post #24
by birdwatcher Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:12am (my time)

"Don't bother with clearing this wash.
I run it through my pot still once and then into my reflux.
Cheers,
G"
bunny

equipment: A) Korny Keg pot stripper
B) 2" x 60" 45 degree LM reflux column filled with manu's spp on a sixtel or short pony keg boiler.

Return to Sugar wash's