sulfured molasses

Sugar wash info and questions

sulfured molasses

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 pm

starting to shit me , all i seem to be able to get here is sulfured molasses . Now when i worked in the wine industry we used metabisulfate to holt fermentation and when it got to the winery they added something to reverse to effects , does anyone no what the hell they use , or is there a yeast that will survive a sulfur environment
Last edited by crow on Fri May 25, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: sulfured molasses

Postby Kimbo » Fri May 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Ring em up and ask em ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 11:20 pm

a fella (dunderhead) on HD reckons he boils molasses with an alkaline like lime if it has preservatives in it wondering if its sulfur and would this work
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby QLD.Andy » Sat May 26, 2012 11:32 am

Different Grades of Molasses!

The sweet liquid pressed out of the sugar cane is processed (boiled) three times, and syrup that remains after each boiling is molasses.

Light Molasses

The first boiling of the cane syrup leaves the lightest colored molasses, called light or amber molasses, or first press molasses. This molasses has a sugar content of about 65% and is the lightest in taste and also in appearance. This molasses is suitable for baking but can also be used as a table syrup.

You can generally substitute light molasses for darker varieties, but darker varieties cannot be substituted for light molasses…don't try pouring blackstrap on your waffles!!

Medium or Dark Molasses

If the syrup remaining after the first boiling is not sold as light molasses, it is boiled again to extract more sugar. The syrup that remains after this second extraction boiling is called dark molasses and it is darker and fuller tasting than light molasses, with a sugar percentage of about 60%.

You can generally interchange light and dark molasses in recipes.

Blackstrap

What's left over after a third boiling and extraction is called blackstrap. It contains about 50-55% sugar and is less sweet and far more flavorful (bitter) and robust than either medium or dark molasses. It is used in the cooking of certain cookies, and famously in Boston Baked Beans, and it is an incredibly healthful form of sweetener.

Blackstrap molasses concentrates many of the nutrients found naturally in sugar cane and is an excellent source of iron, calcium, manganese and Vitamin B and E, as well as many trace minerals. One spoonful of blackstrap is said to have as much iron as 9 eggs, and more calcium than a full glass of milk.

Sulfured or Unsulfured?

When unripened cane (green cane) is used to make sugar, the molasses is infused with sulfur as a preservative. When ripe sugar cane is used, no sulfur is needed.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Cheers for that Andy . All the feed grade molasses I've come across so far here has been dark molasses 2% sulfur :sad: . PS any of you Vic fella's can point me in the right direction , mutter mutter can think of 5 or 10 places back home a could buy it hundred and fifty thousand ppl here and ya can't buy shit
Last edited by crow on Sat May 26, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

Postby maheel » Sat May 26, 2012 4:08 pm

got any horse feed / supply mobs around ? maybe ask the race course people ?

thats were i got some and it did not have sulfur in it.

tasted like shit when i ran it up the pot but.... :laughing-rolling:
maheel

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 4:14 pm

yes Victoria's second largest race cause is just up the road and Aust. largest horse studs are all around me and all the feed joint carry one brand and its full of sulfur :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
crow

Postby MacStill » Sat May 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Just try a small wash with it, a hook rum that uses raw sugar as well should ferment out ok.

2% sulfur in a few liters of molasses that's added to 30L of water & some sugar aint gunna amount to much is it ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: can but try , anyway if it slows it down a bit that won't be the end of the world . Long as I get it to ferment I'll be happy
crow

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun May 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Geez, I'm glad these a few sugar mills around here :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby crow » Sun May 27, 2012 10:22 pm

yeah rub it in :-P
crow

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun May 27, 2012 10:34 pm

well, there is something to be said about molasses straight from the mill in 1000 ltr palicons at the produce store's here
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby crow » Sun May 27, 2012 10:52 pm

bout time I go barra fishing again I think could go home through that country these days , almost on the way . Hey any of you Vic muppets want to get outa this frozen hell hole for a couple of weeks in the next month or 2 :))
crow

Postby crow » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:27 am

Ok my apprehension about this product might be unfounded as I bought 20 ltr of molasses and after opening it , it had a slight sulfurous smell . Regardless I put down a McStill rum recipe and its fermenting like blazes so looks to me like there is not enough in there to be a big problem
crow

Postby Linny » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:51 pm

I should be getting 20L of stock molases next week, so if it does happen to have sulfur in it,,, and it does ferment,,, just continue as normal ?
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby MacStill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Linny wrote:I should be getting 20L of stock molases next week, so if it does happen to have sulfur in it,,, and it does ferment,,, just continue as normal ?

Yeh mate, you can still make nice rum with stock feed molasses :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I think my first drum may of been sulfured it smelt different to the stuff I got now. They both are not very vigorous ferments at the start but ferment out in a week or little over, The product from the first drum is bloody nice. I think it takes longer to ferment if sulfured, Not sure if anything transfers over or not but mine was fine but it may of just been old or different supplier as both places said its go no preservatives in it
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby googe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:10 pm

From what ive done, stronge rich dark rum= stock feed. Smoother, zingyer refined rum= refined molasses.
googe

Return to Sugar wash's