Molasses suppliers

Sugar wash info and questions

Molasses suppliers

Postby bt1 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:56 am

Ok,

I keep reading about these rum heads and all the wonderful drops they make. I've decided to give the dark side a try but F'd if i can find a supplier for volume quality blackstrap.
Would appreciate some vendor details please.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Molasses suppliers

Postby R-sole » Sun May 27, 2012 8:01 am

Most of us get it from feed stores. Where people with horses go. Check your yellow pages for horse feed.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby bt1 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:45 am

Gave the 2 locals a try last weekend.

Asked the question is it blackstrap..no definite answer. Also if my nose serves me correctly i reckon it may have sulphur or other similar shit in it cos it smells way wrong to me.

Could be cos I'm new to molasses and a bit cautious I guess?

I asked for the original container so i could read label...no luck either.

bt1
bt1

Postby R-sole » Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 am

Blackstrap is an american term. I've never heard it used over here. They use it to determine the difference tween food grade and feed grade i think.

We don't really use mollasses in food except in commercial products so we don't have the terms.

You won't see the original container cause it mostly comes in a tanker.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby LWTCS » Sun May 27, 2012 10:54 am

If it's feed grade, its Blackstrap.
And by the way it is the demand for the feed grade stuff that has really made molasses prices in general jump across the board in all markets....dern live stock.
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby crow » Sun May 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi mind if I chime in here I've been trying to get unsulfured molasses as well . ya can or could get it from stock feed places in the Riverland but that might have changed , I wouldn't know . I've had no luck here as yet going to ring Elders tomorrow as there is an agentsy out at Sabastapol (near where I got the gas reg :doh: ) and see how I go . failing that I have to options . I've PM McStill for advise on this and , He advised to use Hook's recipe in that circumstance as 2% sulfur with the sugar and 30ltr's water is going to make little difference and it'll still ferment out no probs . The other advise I got was from Dnderhead on HD ,he says he boils preserved molasses with an alkaline like lime and pour off all but the sediment and its good to go , might be worth a try
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:38 pm

crow,

you've nailed a issue for I'm not keen of putting sulphur into a wash.

Sugar Australia the parent of CSR supply a treacle and syrup that is certified food grade for ppl in 29lt drums.

F using some shitty stock grade feed suppliment with sulphur ...next it will be the US passion for speed using fertilisers 20-20-20 they like ....no thanks.

"hey mate have a glass of this"...can't tell u if it's toxic but F i won't tell you if i new...f em

stay with the proven and known

bt1
bt1

Postby crow » Sun May 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Sulfur's not particularly toxic and is in many foods if not most , dried fruit has a fair bit and if its stuff from turkey (95%) then its soaked in metabisolfate ya may as well just skull a glass full :text-offtopic: (fucking shits me because ya not allowed to do it here but they can bring it in and totally fuck a long flourishing industry rant over) what worries me is it causing ferments to fail or stall . most washes would contain some sulfides and that where copper comes in to it own causing a reaction that removes them but yeah a highly sulfurous wash through stainless and ya might think someone farted in ya hooch
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 am

This stuff sounds yum, shame its in bloody US!. http://internationalmolasses.com/molasses-for-rum
googe

Postby jim » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Does anyone in NOR Perth buy molassas? How much do you pay? I went to City Farmers, and they said they could order in 3L for $27, seemed a little steep to me.
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:03 pm

I get it from midland, probably a bit outta your way, but just so you know I pay about $1 per L so be careful where you get it from. They reckon its free of preservatives so thats good enough for me. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Checked with the local feed store yesterday you have molasses 'yep how much you want' probley 10 liters' what you gonna make rum '
yep is there others in town [i dont know nothing ]
So there
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Divey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:22 am

I bought some Bundaberg Refinery Molasses some time ago and have made some lovely Rum with it. Since then, I have discovered that the big boys use feed grade molasses so I bought some of the Feed grade Molasses from the local produce store. The first thing I noticed was there is a much stronger smell to the feed grade stuff, the aroma is almost twice as powerful. I'm about to run some wash tomorrow that I made with the feed grade so it'll interesting to see how it comes up.
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Postby Kimbo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:22 am

I have got some good stuff from the stock feed shop on gnangara rd
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:34 am

I get mine from a supplier just down the road :D :D :D
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby NotBenStiller » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:27 pm

jim wrote:Does anyone in NOR Perth buy molassas? How much do you pay? I went to City Farmers, and they said they could order in 3L for $27, seemed a little steep to me.

City Farmers Midland ordered 25L in for ~$35

Urrazeb wrote:I get it from midland, probably a bit outta your way, but just so you know I pay about $1 per L so be careful where you get it from. They reckon its free of preservatives so thats good enough for me. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is that 'The Farm Shop' ?
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:08 pm

Stockfeed west I think nbs, over Farall rd way, great mob over there. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby jim » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Kimbo wrote:I have got some good stuff from the stock feed shop on gnangara rd

Kimbo, is the place?

City Live Stock
727 Gnangara Road Lexia WA 6079‎

I want to be sure, because I bought molassas from another feed stock place, and it barely ferments at all. After two weeks the last batch eventually fermented dry, but not even with enough pressure to bubble the airlock. The low wines smell ok, but I would rather have some stuff that ferments more happily.
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Postby MacStill » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Jim,

The stuff I use ferments out in 3 days, but ya gotta be careful with it.... :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:44 pm

jim wrote:
Kimbo wrote:I have got some good stuff from the stock feed shop on gnangara rd

Kimbo, is the place?

City Live Stock
727 Gnangara Road Lexia WA 6079‎

I want to be sure, because I bought molassas from another feed stock place, and it barely ferments at all. After two weeks the last batch eventually fermented dry, but not even with enough pressure to bubble the airlock. The low wines smell ok, but I would rather have some stuff that ferments more happily.

Yep, that's him :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Next

Return to Sugar wash's