How long can I leave before spirit run

Sugar wash info and questions

How long can I leave before spirit run

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:02 pm

I am looking to buy a stainless fermenter and was wanting to know if the TPW was finished and settled can I pour it down into my plastic fermenter and hang on to it until I can get around to running it? This way I can start another TPW straight away in the stainless fermenter.

Is there a time limit I can keep it for, or would it spoil as I will disturb the Co2.
Drip Drip Dribble

equipment: Still Spirits T500, Reflux & Stainless column filter

Re: How long can I leave before spirit run

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:36 pm

I just had a thought, if I was to put it in the plastic fermenter once it is done, could I put a bit of Co2 or Nitrogen across to top before putting the lid and air lock on. Would this help keep it for a while

Just a thought
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby BigRig » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:33 pm

I would add a little bit more sugar and let it start back up and make its own co2. Like when you bottle beer and add the sugar tablets.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby howard » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:43 pm

or transfer the wash, start the new ferment and (using a tube?) send the co2 from the new ferment onto the old wash.
i' m lucky that i have co2 cylinders that i can put a layer of co2 on stuff i want to keep (backset/wash/beer etc)
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:35 pm

Both great ideas, extra sugar or transfer the Co2 with a hose. I do have plenty of Co2 and Nitrogen at my disposal so I thought I could fill the bucket, gently release one of the gas’s via the hole in the lid and quickly put the vapour lock back in.
I can get the gas and blower valve easily any time I need them

What are your thoughts?
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby howard » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:41 pm

Drip Drip Dribble wrote:Both great ideas, extra sugar or transfer the Co2 with a hose. I do have plenty of Co2 and Nitrogen at my disposal so I thought I could fill the bucket, gently release one of the gas’s via the hole in the lid and quickly put the vapour lock back in.

What are your thoughts?

either method.
if you use CO2 there is no need to for any 'quick' action.
CO2 is heavier than air & nitrogen, and will fall and displace the air in the receptacle, if delivered slowly enough.
some beer folk purge their receptacle with CO2 first, before adding the liquid, so there's no contact with air.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:36 pm

howard wrote:
Drip Drip Dribble wrote:Both great ideas, extra sugar or transfer the Co2 with a hose. I do have plenty of Co2 and Nitrogen at my disposal so I thought I could fill the bucket, gently release one of the gas’s via the hole in the lid and quickly put the vapour lock back in.

What are your thoughts?

either method.
if you use CO2 there is no need to for any 'quick' action.
CO2 is heavier than air & nitrogen, and will fall and displace the air in the receptacle, if delivered slowly enough.
some beer folk purge their receptacle with CO2 first, before adding the liquid, so there's no contact with air.

This sounds like a plan as i sell the gas's and can get it when i need it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Drip Drip Dribble

Return to Sugar wash's