My frist washes TPW and Turbo wash

Sugar wash info and questions

Postby Stilldrinking » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:25 pm

Well I started my was first sugar wash 2 weeks ago using a 7kg turbo wash and havnt had a chance to put it through my new still as yet.
So tommorow morning with be my first crack at using a wash through a still. (apart from water/vinegar and 12L cask wine)
I brought another 30L fermenter and started a standard 5KG TPW early this morning, looks kinda cool having a red and yellow fermenter sitting side by side.
The TPW wash smells a whole lot better than the turbo when its bubbling away. Turbo wash smelt like :puke-huge:
If thats normal then +2 points to the TPW.

I hope to find out which one works best for me, and with 2 fermenters time wont be an issue.
I'll post my results here when they're both done and see which way I want to go.
Hopefully I can get some good results. ie drinkable.
Stilldrinking

equipment: LM/VM Pot + keg boiler

Re: My frist washes TPW and Turbo wash

Postby matty83 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Stilldrinking wrote: hope to find out which one works best for me, and with 2 fermenters time wont be an issue.

I said that too, now I have 3x 30L ++ 1x 60L :-)
matty83

equipment: Still Spirits AirStill(No longer used)
Still Spirits T500(repacked column)
McStill 2" Boka

Postby wedwards » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:13 am

I distilled my first TPW washes yesterday, an having come from turbo washes, the quality of the spirit straight out of the still is markedly improved. There is a slight metho smell in the heads but the hearts I could hardly smell anything at all, and the taste was so much better than anything I have ever produced in the past. Will be interesting to see if you have the same experience.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby NotBenStiller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Stilldrinking wrote:The TPW wash smells a whole lot better than the turbo when its bubbling away. Turbo wash smelt like :puke-huge:
If thats normal then +2 points to the TPW.

I've only done 1 turbo and yerp it stunk the house out - guy at work still continues on with turbos (even after i describe the benefits of TPW or WPOSW) and says they stink.

another +2 point for TPW is it's about 1/4 the cost per L than turbos.
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Stilldrinking » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:34 am

Ok. Ive done a back to back run with TPW and Turbo wash.

The TPW spirit is hands down, a better product. It smells and tastes alot cleaner.
It did yield less spirit than the Turbo, but with 5kg sugar I was quite happy.
I rekon the TPW is cheaper, smells much better when fermenting, and makes a better product.
Im really glad I took the advise from the forums and tried it.

Having said that, the TPW takes a week longer to settle and yields less, So there is definatley a place for turbo washes.
If you need lots of spirit fast, or are time poor, go for the turbo. It will smell the place out, cost more and the end product will not taste or smell as clean.

TPW for me. Im fully converted.
Stilldrinking

equipment: LM/VM Pot + keg boiler

Postby dillsandwitch » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:08 pm

matty83 wrote:
Stilldrinking wrote: hope to find out which one works best for me, and with 2 fermenters time wont be an issue.

I said that too, now I have 3x 30L ++ 1x 60L :-)

hehehe. i started with 1 30L a week and a bit ago. now am up to 3 x 30L and i have a 90L barrel i bought for chicken food and am thinking about adding it to the brewing room. :)) will have to go visit the guy that sells them and get a couple more me thinks. and whats better they were only 35 each :D
dillsandwitch

equipment: T-500 :D

Return to Sugar wash's