Sugars

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Sugars

Postby gramie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 am

gramie wrote:
audistiller wrote:White sugar is bloody expensive at IGA where I live, 3kg of CSR sugar is over $7.00, and 2kg is over $5.00. I have 60kg of dextrose but I'm not really happy with its performance in the fermenter. Being in regional WA it would even be expensive freighting it up here due to its weight, cant bloody win.

If you got a Aldi close by its about $1.80 or so for 2 kg of white sugar.

Just checked the Aldi site for 2 kg of white sugar, its $1.99 for 2 kg, can do a search in this addy -------------> http://www.smartershopping.com.au/productsearch.aspx
gramie

equipment: Air still

Postby gramie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 am

:laughing-rolling:
Cupcake wrote:Go and see your local baker :angry-banghead: I buy 2x25kg bags at once and he only charges me $22/bag,I just told him that I make my own beer and the missus makes lots of jams,which is total BS of course,the only jam my missus makes is in the car door :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
For my UJ and rum I use Demerara sugar from the mill down the road :handgestures-thumbupleft:
gramie

equipment: Air still

Postby invisigoth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 pm

back when i was doing raw sugar analysis, there was a bunch of different grades of raw sugar. the mainstay is a grade called brand 1, which is what you are likely to buy at the supermarket. there was another name for the same grade, but i forget what it was. but for rum, if you have access to the mills, the stuff you might wanna try is a grade called ja. it's intended for the japanese market. it's very sticky with molasses. a pain in the arse for analysis, but it smells awesome! :music-deathmetal: sadly i've forgotten which mills produce it. :crying-blue:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's