Sugars

Sugar wash info and questions

Sugars

Postby googe » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:21 am

Found these write ups about sugars today and thought it was a good read. If its in the wrong section could you please move it mister admin man. I love the sound of the DEMERARA SUGAR!!, i rang around today and found it for $41 for 12 packs of 375 gram, dear shit but bet its yummy!.
LIQUID SUGARS
PREMIUM LIQUID SUGAR is a virtually water-white liquid sucrose syrup produced from bottler’s grade white sugar to meet the exacting standards of the carbonated beverage industry. It is intended for a wide range of beverages, food products and as a source of sucrose in chemical manufacture.

MANUFACTURERS LIQUID SUGAR is a similar product to premium liquid sugar but with a marginally higher maximum level of micro-organisms. It is intended for a wide range of food products and as a source of sucrose in chemical manufacture where colour is critical, but where the marginally higher maximum levels of micro-organisms (compared with Premium Liquid Sugar) can be tolerated. It is not generally considered suitable for carbonated beverage production.

FINE LIQUID SUGAR is a straw-coloured sugar syrup with small amounts of the naturally-occurring reducing sugars, inorganic ash, other soluble organic matter, and colour of raw sugar origin. It is suitable for use in those products where small residual amounts of reducing sugars, mineral salts, soluble organic matter and colour can be tolerated or may even enhance flavour or other product characteristics.

INVERT SYRUP is pale coloured sweetener prepared by the acid hydrolysis of a solution of white refined sugar. Following hydrolysis (“inversion”), the syrup is partially neutralised before delivery. Invert Syrup contains equal proportions of the invert (reducing) sugars: glucose and fructose. It has a wide application and is particularly useful where high concentrations of invert sugars are required. The crystal-inhibiting characteristics and humectant properties (retention of moisture) means that the shelf life of many products can be extended by the use of Invert Syrup in product formulations. It has a high degree of sweetening power relative to sucrose.

GOLDEN SYRUP is a viscous, golden-red liquid of characteristic flavour and aroma. It is produced by decolourisation of a partially hydrolysed sugar syrup. Manufacturers Golden Syrup is a similar product to Golden Syrup but it is produced at a lower solids concentration and is therefore less viscous which allows it to flow more readily than Golden Syrup. These two syrups are widely used in baking and fillings where their flavour and high sweetening power (relative to sucrose) are especially advantageous.

TREACLE is a viscous dark brown to black liquid that has a stronger flavour and aroma than golden syrup. It is produced from a partially hydrolysed sugar syrup. Treacle's colour and flavour make it suitable for baking applications and for the production of certain confectionery items.

Crystal Sugars

PREMIUM WHITE SUGAR (previously called Bottlers, Canners or Low Colour) is manufactured white sugar which meets the standards set by the National Soft Drink Association of the USA and National Canners Association of the USA, and also meets the standard set by the US National Food Processors Association. It is produced for specific uses where purity is most important. It is especially suitable for use in bottling of aerated waters, in canning of low-acid foods where sugar with low levels of particular types of spoilage micro-organisms in the can is needed, or where the product is sensitive to colour introduced with the sugar.

MANUFACTURERS WHITE SUGAR has a broad crystal size spectrum and may contain some large crystals as well as fine sugar. It is suitable for a wide range of food and beverage processing applications where variable crystal size will not affect the final product's quality. It is especially practical where dissolving is part of the customer’s process.

GRADED WHITE SUGAR has a smaller and more uniform crystal size than manufacturers white sugar and is suitable for a wide range of table top and industrial food and beverage applications. Applications which benefit from the uniform grist and bulk density characteristics of this product include baking and confectionery manufacture where sugar crystal size affects textures and consistency. Volumetric measurements of graded white sugar gives a more repeatable mass than would occur with manufacturers white sugar.

CASTER SUGAR has a smaller average crystal size than graded white sugar and does not contain the larger crystals. It produces textural differences in bakery products. It is ideal for sugar-coated products and some confectionery, and also exhibits fast-dissolving characteristics which are desirable for cold drink preparations. In powdered dry mixes such as sachet drinks, puddings, jellies and cake mixes, the uniform crystal size of caster sugar ensures even distribution, avoiding stratification and non-uniformity of the packaged product.

EXTRA COARSE SUGAR is a specialty white sugar of large crystal size which has particle size and particle size distribution characteristics. It is used for decoration and other special uses. Some of these uses are unique and form the basis of particular bakery or confectionery products.

SPECIALTY CRYSTAL SUGARS

BROWN SUGAR is a moist, golden brown, very fine crystal product, made using selected refinery syrups.

DARK BROWN SUGAR has a similar texture to Brown Sugar with a richer colour and more distinctive molasses flavour and aroma.

These two sugars are especially suitable to use in cereals, baking, fillings, syrup toppings and confectionery, where the characteristic colour, flavour and aroma of the sugars will be imparted to the food.

RAW SUGAR is a free flowing sugar of straw colour with a characteristic flavour. It has a wide variety of uses but particularly where the straw colour and characteristics flavour will enhance the product in which it is used.

COFFEE SUGAR is a large grained, pale brown sugar with a characteristic flavour.

DEMERARA SUGAR is a particular form of raw sugar with a golden, sparkling crystal and a distinctive rich flavour.

These two sugars have large crystals which dissolve slowly allowing the full flavour and sweetness of natural sugar cane syrups to last. They are suitable for use in coffee, as a table accompaniment and in certain cooking applications. The rich golden colour and molasses flavour of Demerara give its use extra dimension.

ICING SUGAR – these are fine-grained white sugars produced by grinding crystal sugar. They have specific uses where the very fine particles are required, such as fondant for confectionery and in the baking industry. We produce a pure icing sugar which is 100% sugar and icing mixtures where up to 5% starch is added to prevent caking. Pure icing sugar tends to cake and lump quite quickly and should be used within a few days of production. Icing mixture should be used within a month of manufacture and will compact if stacked more than two pallets high. Storage should be in cool dry areas away from draughts and humidity.
googe

Re: Sugars

Postby law-of-ohms » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:42 am

looks like you've been reading the CSR website! lol
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby googe » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:45 am

maybe :shifty: :)) , never realized there were so many different sugars!.
googe

Postby Kimbo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Good post Googe,
well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby markus » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Hey good read.
Just out of interest does anyone use brown
Or dark brown sugar in their recipes?
I'm guessing these would add different flavours compared to white sugar

Cheers markus
markus

equipment: 4" FSD on keg
All copper pot still

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Thats all I use,straight from the mill to the still...so to speak :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby audistiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 am

White sugar is bloody expensive at IGA where I live, 3kg of CSR sugar is over $7.00, and 2kg is over $5.00. I have 60kg of dextrose but I'm not really happy with its performance in the fermenter. Being in regional WA it would even be expensive freighting it up here due to its weight, cant bloody win.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 am

Sugar average price in melb $1.99 for 2 kg :razz:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 am

audistiller wrote:White sugar is bloody expensive at IGA where I live, 3kg of CSR sugar is over $7.00, and 2kg is over $5.00. I have 60kg of dextrose but I'm not really happy with its performance in the fermenter. Being in regional WA it would even be expensive freighting it up here due to its weight, cant bloody win.

Thats living rural for ya, they jack the prices up and blame it on transport coz they know you cant go anywhere else :angry-banghead:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

Bunderberg and CSR are about $4 to 5 for two kgs here black and gold which say its 1005 ozzy so in other words CSR or Bundy ha ha is say around $2.30 . I don't buy 3 kg bags as it is always everywhere more per kilo and the 15kg are worse still (go figure). I can save quite a bit by buying in Ballarat but unless I'm going there already It would be pretty fucking silly to spend $15 in fuel to save a dollar or 2 and I believe claims that B&G or home brands are different from the others sugar are total bullshit , 100% Australian sugar means 100% ozzy sugar regardless of how pretty the paper bag is ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby audistiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:31 pm

I keep forgetting we have a Wholesalers here, which stocks all sorts of food, meat, frozen food, cleaning products and lots of other things. So I just went to check the prices of their sugar. The 2kg Bundaburg White Sugar is $4.55, which works out to be $2.27 a kilo, and I found a 15kg bag of Bundaburg Graded Cane Sugar, and that is $25.20, which works out to be $1.68 per kilo. That's about as good as its going to get, so I grabbed the 15kg bag. :clap:

On the way to the Wholesalers I stopped at IGA to verify their prices for white sugar;
1kg CSR $2.74
2kg CSR $5.27
3kg CSR $7.18

I now have everything I need to finally put down a TPW, so I might have to toss out one of the washes I put down Saturday morning as its doing stuff all, it hasn't started.
audistiller

Postby googe » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Bloody he'll you lot pay alot. $ 1 a kg here, and the same as crow regards to dearer the bigger the packet.
googe

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:05 pm

The average price in Perth for B&G white sugar is $1.30/Kg, raw is about $1.70/Kg
IGA wont have it for those prices but Coles and Woolies will. ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby audistiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Kimbo wrote:The average price in Perth for B&G white sugar is $1.30/Kg

Well considering the stuff I bought works out to be $1.68 a kilo, 38 cents isn't much of a difference considering its got to be carted 1,300kms.
audistiller

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Go and see your local baker :angry-banghead: I buy 2x25kg bags at once and he only charges me $22/bag,I just told him that I make my own beer and the missus makes lots of jams,which is total BS of course,the only jam my missus makes is in the car door :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
For my UJ and rum I use Demerara sugar from the mill down the road :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby crow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Cupcake wrote:For my UJ and rum I use Demerara sugar from the mill down the road :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :snooty:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:36 pm

:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :teasing-neener:
Cane Toad

Postby gramie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 am

audistiller wrote:White sugar is bloody expensive at IGA where I live, 3kg of CSR sugar is over $7.00, and 2kg is over $5.00. I have 60kg of dextrose but I'm not really happy with its performance in the fermenter. Being in regional WA it would even be expensive freighting it up here due to its weight, cant bloody win.

If you got a Aldi close by its about $1.80 or so for 2 kg of white sugar.
gramie

equipment: Air still

Postby gramie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:11 am

:pray:
Cupcake wrote:Go and see your local baker :angry-banghead: I buy 2x25kg bags at once and he only charges me $22/bag,I just told him that I make my own beer and the missus makes lots of jams,which is total BS of course,the only jam my missus makes is in the car door :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
For my UJ and rum I use Demerara sugar from the mill down the road :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you gave the baker a bottle of whiskey you get a far better deal :handgestures-thumbupleft: :shhh:
gramie

Postby gramie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:16 am

Go to Maccas cafe, knock off all there sachels of sugar :laughing-rolling: :shhh: ^:)^
gramie

Next

Return to Sugar wash's