Unsulphered blackstrap in perth

Sugar wash info and questions

Postby Longknife » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi crew

I was wanting to know where you perth stillers buy your blackstrap mollasses?
Iv called 3 stockfeed places and none of them could tell me if it was unsulphered.
I fly home in a week and thought I'd be able to go past mirco bros in neerabup on way north but they weren't sure either.
Anyway, is there a way to tell if it's sulphered in the first place?
Got 2 new fermenters waiting at home to start up mcstills rum recipe.
4 weeks down, 1 to go!
Thanks in advance.
Longknife

equipment: Ss t500 reflux

Re: Unsulphered blackstrap in perth

Postby Gas on » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Hey LG,

I give up trying to find someone that could tell me what they were selling,
my nearest stockfeed place rang there suplier & they didnt know either. So :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

My local bloke sells Thompson & Redwood molasses 20kgs for $25 which is way cheaper than (macro bros :handgestures-thumbdown: ) those cunts ripped me big time.
I think there is a company that delivers up your way once a month or so i"ll see if i can find them again. might be helpful
it called Farmer Andys Mobile Stockfeeds
cheers
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby Longknife » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Cheers Gas On.
Yeah it's a blow out they can't tell you about something THEIR bloody selling (or seem to care bout findin out),
I fly back into perth an have a car so can go driving for it if I can't find anything north of river.
Anything to be sure it dosnt have preservatives in it.
So yeah any info good info
Thanks again Gas On

CHEERS bloke. Will try an track Him down an see what his caper is.
Longknife

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:20 pm

I honestly don't think that the amount of sulphur that they add to molasses is really gunna worry the ferments that we do :snooty: :snooty:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Cupcake wrote:I honestly don't think that the amount of sulphur that they add to molasses is really gunna worry the ferments that we do :snooty: :snooty:

It's never slowed mine down ;-)

I doubt any molasses I've ever used was sulphur free & I cant recall ever having a ferment going wrong using it.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Longknife » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Cheers cupcake n mcstill.
I was under the impression the sulpher would have killed the yeast but if you guys arent chasing unsulphered stuff...
At least I now know where every stockfeed store is north of the river!
Can't wait to get this wash down.
Thanks for answering a pretty silly question( in hindsight).
Longknife

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Not so silly mate,if you don't ask the question,and end up traveling 3 hours every time you want some molasses,well that silly :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Unless there is a real hot sort running the stock feed store :laughing-rolling: that's just normal
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby John Power » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 pm

When molasses is pumped out of a sugar mill it has no added sulphur, it is at around 90 degrees and is very viscous, it is then stored in massive tanks or huge lined dams covered with a fabric cover, some of these at the mills are around 30 metres by 100 metres and five metres deep, so they can contain 15,000 litres or more.

If anyone tried to add sulphur they would need to heat the molasses to at least 60 degrees, which takes lots of energy, add the sulphur and then mix it well. If you have ever tried to mixx a small amount of anything into a very thick liquid you would know this is not easily done. I am not aware of any supplier in Australia that does this and can see no reason why you would add it.

molasses is so high in sugar no bacteria can live, because it is so thick no oxygen can get in either so the only thing that may cause sulphur is if some sulphur reducing bacteria were to be living in the top layer of the molasses and it will be producing small amounts of sulphur.

I have not heard of much molasses being imported into Australia, Australia is one of the largest exporters of molasses and the only time imports come is is because of a drought and there has been a very poor sugar cane crop, I think one year in the last 20 would be it. When it is imported it normally comes from India or other asian sugar mills.

The other reason not much imports come in is the cost, the importer expects the graziers to put up the cash before it is ordered and graziers don't like this as they are not sure if they will use it all. All very complicated so does not happen much.
John Power

equipment: 25 litre stainless steel boiler with reflux still

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks for the insight John :handgestures-thumbupleft:
One question, how come Molasses will ferment on its own if no bacteria can live in it?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Kimbo wrote:Thanks for the insight John :handgestures-thumbupleft:
One question, how come Molasses will ferment on its own if no bacteria can live in it?

I was wondering that too.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Sam. » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
Kimbo wrote:Thanks for the insight John :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I was wondering that too.

Is it watered down at all at that stage?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:52 pm

No, I,ve seen it so thick it will hardly come out of the tap and still ferments.
Sugar cane has a lot of wild yeast on the husk, but i cant see how it would survive the milling process.
John Power wrote:molasses is so high in sugar no bacteria can live, because it is so thick no oxygen can get in either

I don't understand :think:

In fact, i think Mac is having a similar problem right now IIRC :angry-banghead:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Kimbo wrote:
In fact, i think Mac is having a similar problem right now IIRC :angry-banghead:

What problem is that mate ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Cupcake wrote:I honestly don't think that the amount of sulphur that they add to molasses is really gunna worry the ferments that we do :snooty: :snooty:

McStill wrote:It's never slowed mine down ;-)
I doubt any molasses I've ever used was sulphur free & I cant recall ever having a ferment going wrong using it.

Ive never had a problem with just buying plain old stock feed molasses either
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby SBB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Ive also never had straight mollasses ferment, but have had it ferment once diluted down to less than 50/50 with water, presumably from wild yeasts.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:59 pm

McStill wrote:
Kimbo wrote:

What problem is that mate ?

Was it you that had the molasses fermenting in the container or someone else? :think:
Dunno, somebody said it. ;-)
Coulda been the bloke at the stock feeders :think:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Yup I've had that happen :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:31 pm

hmm just reading all this... :? ... why would they say it has sulphur in it if it don't, I mean its not like a big bonus "yay got some free sulphur with this this time" but there it was on the label x% sulphur
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:28 am

The one i used to use called Queensland mollasses has 0.40 % sulfur in a 25kg drum, sweet fa.
googe

Return to Sugar wash's