TURBO WASH VS TPW

Sugar wash info and questions

TURBO WASH VS TPW

Postby JOHNYWALKER » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Hey Guys and Gals

Now i have heard the arguments about the costs, but putting money aside. Which wash(TURBO or TPW) tastes better and this will be the 40% final product without essence. Now if we add the essences will there still be a difference?

Presently i have 50l turbo wash clearing getting ready for Saturday Cooking. It is at 10-12%(hope that is good), I have a home built 50l keg reflux still, how many bottels of 80-96% will i get from cooking up a 25l batch, or should i do the whole 49 l.

Just wondering
JW
:))
JOHNYWALKER

equipment: 60l FERMENTATION CONTAINER
REFLUX STILL

TURBO WASH VS TPW

Postby wedwards » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Short answer is that I you do your cuts properly, then TPW is way better in flavour regardless of whether you use as vodka or flavour it with essence
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

TURBO WASH VS TPW

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 pm

No, 10% is not good. I only ever did a few turbos but the point is you get much more abv. I got 15-18%.

Hell I get 11% from my TPW.

I noticed pretty strong smell and taste differences. The Turbo always had a twang of metho/nail polish remover that never went away.

Now I run 25L of TPW through my reflux and I'm harsh on heads and tails and I keep about 2L-2.5L of ~93% alc at most.

So call it 5-7 x 750 ml bottled at in 40% ?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: TURBO WASH VS TPW

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi JW,it's a pretty open ended question,as there are quite a few variables.Depends on how you run the still,give it heaps of time to equalize,thus compressing the heads,which will mean more hearts,run nice and steady,so as not to smear heads and tails into the hearts and collect in small jars :handgestures-thumbupleft: All things being equal,you should end up with 3-3.5l of usable booze @ 85-90% depending on what sort of still you are running
Why don't you try a little experiment this weekend :think: after you've emptied your fermenter of turbo,give it a good clean and do a TPW,let it run it's course and clear,then distill it.Then comes the fun part :dance: tell US the difference between the two of em,once watered down to 40%. Would be very interesting to hear the results coming from a new member :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby grumpthehermit » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Are you trying to use an alcometer to measure the ABV of your Turbo wash?

From what I understand that will not give you an accurate reading?

To work it out you need to know the start and finish on your hydrometer.

Cheers
GTH

OH and TPW all the way !!! :D
grumpthehermit

Postby karrotbear » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:57 am

Hey guys just a question about the TPW, does it leave any more residue in your boiler, than a normal wash? And if so is it harder to clean out etc?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

TURBO WASH VS TPW

Postby wedwards » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 am

Nah I didn't notice any more or less. The only thing to remember is to make sure you let it settle out before you run it so that it's pretty clear. I'd it's cool, this will usually take no more than a week after fermentation is complete.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Boomgate » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 am

wedwards wrote:Nah I didn't notice any more or less. The only thing to remember is to make sure you let it settle out before you run it so that it's pretty clear. I'd it's cool, this will usually take no more than a week after fermentation is complete.

Put a bit of gelatine in hot water (1 level teaspoon in 100ml of water) and stir it up, drop it into the TPW and two hours later its pretty much clear.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Return to Sugar wash's