What gravity should my TPW be?

Sugar wash info and questions

What gravity should my TPW be?

Postby mrSilkie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 pm

I pitched my TPW last week Wednesday and it should be time to put into the fridge to let it settle. However, i just want to check to see how far it's done. I would be able to tell but i'm using a three piece airlock this time around (so much quieter) so i can't compare it to my last wash. I know there are a couple others who do TPW's so i'd like to know at what point do you put yours into the fridge to clear / use clearing agents?

Also, for Croweater and mcStill who might remember me. My vodka turned out fine. It had a weird taste tho and smelt like metho tho. I had 170ml foreshots and 500ml heads. Only took out 1L of 90% out and did a little bit more untill i decided to call it a night. (i don't actually know how pure it is, i don't know where to get a hydrometer that goes to 0.5)
mrSilkie

equipment: 2x30L fermentors
25L reflux still

Re: What gravity should my TPW be?

Postby crow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi yes I remember ya ;-) the finish gravity can differ slightly depending on a number of things first the starting gravity but it should be somewhere around 0.99, but the best way if ya not sure is to measure it for two consecutive days that the reading remains the same and then ya know its finished (or stalled :icon-lol: )
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby mrSilkie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Alright, cheers. I'll take a reading now and see what it looks like.
mrSilkie

25L reflux still

Postby mrSilkie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:54 pm

It's not that far above 1.0 so i'll leave it for another day or too.
Cheers
mrSilkie

25L reflux still

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Nine i ran today was 0.99 but it took 2 weeks to ferment and clear
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:52 pm

croweater wrote:Hi yes I remember ya ;-) the finish gravity can differ slightly depending on a number of things first the starting gravity but it should be somewhere around 0.99, but the best way if ya not sure is to measure it for two consecutive days that the reading remains the same and then ya know its finished (or stalled :icon-lol: )

:text-imwithstupid:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Boomgate » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Nine i ran today was 0.99 but it took 2 weeks to ferment and clear

I have now run about 12 TPW's.... The time it takes depends very much on temperature...

at around the 22-26 degrees it takes about 2 weeks
at around the 26-35 degrees it takes about 1 week

To counter this I bought an aquarium heater, put it in one of my fermenters.... The unheated one took 1.5 weeks at varying temps, the one with the heater in it took 4 days less... (6 days)...

With the warmer climate at the moment I am not bothering to use it though...
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Linno » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 pm

my TPW ferments are identical to Boomgate, i follow the recipe exactly but i scale up to suit my fermenters, i usually strip the wash in my pot between 2.5/ 3 weeks regardless. gives it a bit of time to clear.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Return to Sugar wash's