First TPW

Sugar wash info and questions

First TPW

Postby emtherion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Heya guys, well, first time TPW as the title suggests. I did make a few changes:

6kg White home brand sugar (instead of 5kg)
extra 500ml water and 5g lowans premium yeast to compensate. (have no idea if this extra step was needed)

However I put in at 35-36 deg Celsius. The ambient temp here on the gold coast is over 30 in my area at the moment so would have take many many hours to cool down with
a lack of a fridge large enough or space available to place the fermenter for a bit.

Hopefully it comes out nice.

I was however wondering, and well this is my frist non turbo wash. Could never get anything I was totally happy with for as long as ive been doing this ( 2 years ).
and I was also a little greedy lol, but totally over that....I'm wanting something that doesn't taste like the smell of metho until flavors are added (even then tastes not that great oaked or essence).
few things im not sure about, was going to just do this when it finished but may be something that I dont know as well.
I usually discard the frist 75ml that comes out of my t500 reflux still. I am assuming around these amounts then 500-700ml cuts afterwards. also
I have never done a strip run. With a reflux is this really required?

but appart from the small question, heres a pic =D, nothin special, see how it goes.
.p.s started bubbling within 5 mins. hmm thats good I guess =D

IMG_0565.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emtherion

equipment: T500 condenser and boiler

Re: First TPW

Postby emtherion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:56 pm

oh and was going to use turbo clear to clear it, hmm tho I saw a sugerstion using gelatine in hot water and it clears in 2 hours. would this be the case in gold coast weather?
emtherion

First TPW

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:19 pm

emtherion wrote:Heya guys, well, first time TPW as the title suggests. I did make a few changes:

6kg White home brand sugar (instead of 5kg)
extra 500ml water and 5g lowans premium yeast to compensate. (have no idea if this extra step was needed)

However I put in at 35-36 deg Celsius. The ambient temp here on the gold coast is over 30 in my area at the moment so would have take many many hours to cool down with
a lack of a fridge large enough or space available to place the fermenter for a bit.

Hopefully it comes out nice.

I was however wondering, and well this is my frist non turbo wash. Could never get anything I was totally happy with for as long as ive been doing this ( 2 years ).
and I was also a little greedy lol, but totally over that....I'm wanting something that doesn't taste like the smell of metho until flavors are added (even then tastes not that great oaked or essence).
few things im not sure about, was going to just do this when it finished but may be something that I dont know as well.
I usually discard the frist 75ml that comes out of my t500 reflux still. I am assuming around these amounts then 500-700ml cuts afterwards. also
I have never done a strip run. With a reflux is this really required?

but appart from the small question, heres a pic =D, nothin special, see how it goes.
.p.s started bubbling within 5 mins. hmm thats good I guess =D

IMG_0565.JPG

Glad to hear of your evolution from the turbs.

Few things. 36 seems to be pushing the limits of the bakers but it might be ok.

Cut in smaller amounts, like 250ml jars or so, I don't bother with turbo clear and with tpw it's not really needed. Just rack off into other container, wait 2 days and rack into boiler, try to avoid moving the container during the clearing as u r trying to settle the solids.

The bubbling within 5 min could be hot air escaping, monitor it and if not working pitch more yeast.

There is a good guide on cuts on here (kiwistillers)

Hope rhis helps mate

Good luck :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

First TPW

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:45 pm

You do not need to do a strip with a TPW in a reflux. The difference between that and the turbos is firstly yield and secondly the absence of that harsh metho smell.

The yield is much less after you do cuts, but the quality is astonishing in comparison.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby googe » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:17 pm

I think.you shouldn't've stuck to the tried recipe and not your own for the first, you have nothing to compare it to and know one will be able to answer your questions about it because it's a new recipe. That said, it is a monkey see monkey do recipe, if ya stuff a tpw up there's something wrong lol. I never clear mine or worry to much about pitching temps, I just chuck all the ingreidence in, hot water on top, mix, then add the rest cold, never had a prob. Good luck mate.
googe

Postby crow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:46 pm

yep well run this and then do the TPW to the recipe and see if ya can tell the diff chances are ya wont notice to much if any at all :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emtherion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:50 pm

yea will do the propper one strait after, was getting towards dark and was gettin impatient, I do have the turbo's to compare it to haha
emtherion

First TPW

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Try and keep the temp under the 30° mark and just be patient. I never bother clearing it, just let the yeast drop naturally with time. Patience is a virtue in this caper.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby emtherion » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Well it all ended up going well as, just finished distilling it last nite with a minor hiccup in the rubber seal..but thats fixed now. All I can is just wow, loving the neutrality of it..mix with solo or LA cola and thats all I can taste. If anything maybe a slightly bitter taste compared to the sweet, metho smelling crap like the turbo's were giving. Only biter hides (really well with the fizz of mixes) if I try it strait, but awesomely smooth compared to the harshness of turbo's. Def be only running this for neutrals now. Really need to get a mashing kit to do some wheat grain vodka's. Idealy I'll be extremily happy if I can get it to taste like that Russian standard vokda.
emtherion

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:48 pm

thats a great result Emtherion, now sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby StillWaters » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:35 am

Just a thought Emtherion, have you tried the old trick of freezing water in large Coke bottles and, after sterilising the outside, chucking them into the wash to get the temp down?
StillWaters

equipment: 25 Litre boiler, 2" double reduction Boka still, 2" copper pot still and a Parrot

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:47 am

emtherion wrote:Well it all ended up going well as, just finished distilling it last nite with a minor hiccup in the rubber seal..but thats fixed now. All I can is just wow, loving the neutrality of it..mix with solo or LA cola and thats all I can taste. If anything maybe a slightly bitter taste compared to the sweet, metho smelling crap like the turbo's were giving. Only biter hides (really well with the fizz of mixes) if I try it strait, but awesomely smooth compared to the harshness of turbo's. Def be only running this for neutrals now. Really need to get a mashing kit to do some wheat grain vodka's. Idealy I'll be extremily happy if I can get it to taste like that Russian standard vokda.

Try using weetbix and corn flakes mate,,I've only done the tpw,got 2 weetbix Marky mark specials bubbling now,,smell great,almost want to add milk and just eat it out the fermenter,,and I know it's gunna taste smooth,,also I've tried using pumkin,baby peas,broccoli,the pumkin is smooth as heck,the baby peas one was a bit sharp to taste,same with the broccoli,but I did a heap a jäger miester with those so that covered the taste up.goodluck mate,,u can't go wrong getting advice here bud!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Return to Sugar wash's