TPW question

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: TPW question

Postby Zappa Loo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi guys...how long do you leave your TPW before distilling? and can you leave it for too long? I have three 25L ready to go but don't think I'll get around to it for another week. One of them it two weeks in already. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can leave them for as long as you want but not sure if it was on here or not. Just after your thoughts.

Also...regarding cuts...this will be my first time doing them. I have bought a bunch of 250ml jars. After getting rid of the foreshots...is it just a matter of filling each one (numbering as you go), then using your own smell and taste to find the changing point? (heads to hearts then tails)
Zappa Loo

equipment: Turbo 500 still

Re: TPW question

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:37 pm

I’ve left one for 6 months and there was nothing wrong with it. I remember another member saying they “lost” a fermenter behind clutter in the shed and found it 2 yrs later or so. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As for cuts you’re on the money. Cover them with a tea towel and air them for 24 hrs.
When I select my cuts I dilute a sample using a teaspoon of alcohol and a teaspoon of water (should be around 45% ish)
For tails I find a 1:2 ratio is better because tails are easier to pick at lower abv.

Then I use 3 wine glasses
one glass for a pure hearts, pick the middle jar and dilute
One for either heads or tails, whichever you’re selecting first, dilute
One for the “test”, if I’m doing heads first then I might test jar 6 first (based on my still and run strategy, yours may be different) I’ll dilute this and the smell/ taste it’s similarities to both the heads glass and the hearts glass.
Take you time, be patient
If it’s like the heads then move to jar 7, if it’s almost exactly like hearts jar then move to jar 5.

Same goes for tails. All in all be harsh at the start while learning the technique
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's