DAP Sugar wash Any ideas?

Sugar wash info and questions

Postby Valoren » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Hey guys, just wondering how much DAP I'm going to need to add to a TPW, you guys have a newbie sold, my first TPW is on and bubbling away merrily, just wondering if she'll benefit from some DAP. Smells really clean so far, can I subs TP for DAP?
I'm really liking the smell, I don't know how I even got roped into the "Turbo scam."

Just wondering if I'll get any better results from a pure DAP wash, I've heard a few mentions to the "Wineos" Recipe but I haven't seen it posted on this site,
you guys know what it's on about?
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Re: DAP Sugar wash Any ideas?

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Quote wineo -/HD-I have been working on a simple recipe for a neutral sugar wash without a bunch of extra stuff in it to cause flavors,and this is it.Its real simple. This is for a 6 gallon wash. 8 pounds of sugar{dissolved in hot water} 1 tsp of citric acid 1 tsp of DAP 1 tsp of gypsum{You can get this from a beermaking supplier} A pinch of epsom salts{Less than 1/8 of a tsp} 1/4 cup of distillers yeast,or 1/2 cup of bakers yeast{sprinkled on t} Dissolve your sugar in hot water and mix until its dissolved real good. Add the DAP,gypsum, acid and epsom salts,and stir until its all dissolved. Add this to your fermenter,and add enough cool water to make 6 gallons. The starting SG should be 1070-1080SG.Dont go over 1080SG for best results. Check the temp,and once its 95f or under,sprinkle the yeast on top. After 15-20 minutes,give it a good stir to mix things up,and get some air mixed in.You can cover the fermenter with a cloth,or use an airlock. Depending on the fermenting temp,this will work off in a week or two. Dont rush it.Let it finish to dryness,and give it another week to clear before running it. I potstill this wash.It is very neutral,and very clean.It will make a clean neutral,potstilled or refluxed. By using a large amount of yeast,You dont have to add a bunch of extra neutrents and additives to get it to work,and the less stuff you add,the less it will influence flavors. All you novice distillers using turbo yeast out there,Try this,and you will be done with turbos,carbon filtering,Etc. -end quote

Credit for above recipe and quote wineo/hd.

It was third from top on a google search for 'wineo' ;)
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Tomato paste is a cheap alternative for DAP.

As for how much not sure on minimum quantities but it shouldn't be much try 20g for a 25L wash and adjust from there.

All depends how cheap you can source DAP
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: DAP Sugar wash Any ideas?

Postby bt1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:36 am

Howdy,

A TPW don't really need DAP as mentioned...nothing wrong with it however it won't hurt...I normally put 1 heaped teaspoon in say about 8 -10gm seems to do the trick.

btw a plain sugar dap wash is a very harsh tasting beast from the ones I tried....better off going a weetbix with DAP...far softer without the pronounced heads smell.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Sugar wash's