Feints collection

Sugar wash info and questions

Feints collection

Postby kingy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:36 pm

After doing a couple of tpws through my pot still I just want to check that I'm collecting within a good volume.

My first was 2x25 litre tpws with 5kgs of sugar in each wash. Stripped individually once each and spirit run together. Ended up with 18 jars full and collected 7 hearts to end up with 5litres @40% was super easy to make cuts for some reason

The next was another 50litres of tpw stripped twice together then spirit ran together with the feints added from the last batch and ended up with 29 jars. Collecting 10 as hearts and ending up with 7 litres @ 40%. The cuts where a lot harder to make than the first batch for some reason?

Does that sound about right for collection rates?

Do you think I should save feints up and run together as I think it made cuts harder when I mix them in with the latest brew?

Out of the feints saved from a 50 litre spirit run how much hearts would one expect from them feints if where to be run again?
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Re: Feints collection

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Its the same still, in theory it should separate the same way or close to it what ever you shove in it, then again theory and reality don't always see eye to eye.
Could it be you ran a bit faster and smeared your cuts a bit???
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Feints collection

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:01 pm

SBB alot comes into play. Yes it should run the same if you put exactly the same threw it but every wash is not going to be exactly the same. Some may stall some may ferment more and when you add feints it will be different to no feints.

Look at my last rum I got about 3lts of 60% out of 90lts. As it was the first gen and I didnt use feints, plus I used a different yeast and think the yield was way low. I just done a spirit run tonight and I prob got over double that on a rough guess making cuts on the fly so I know roughly where they will be that will differ when I air it but gives me a idea. I used faints on this run and think yield was where I expected. I ran out of bottles and think I was only 2-3 bottles into tails so I got alot more then expected.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Feints collection

Postby kingy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 pm

Yea I'm actually thinking because I was letting it drip into the parrot and run out of the parrot.
Reckon ill go back to letting it drip from the parrot and see how that ends up.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Return to Sugar wash's