Ginger Rum

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Ginger Rum

Postby DaveZ » Sun May 12, 2013 5:24 pm

As soon as I get my bubbler I'm all over this. What sized ferment did you put your 250g of ginger in googe? I know you said 10L trial run, just making sure that was the ferment size before I go dumping 1.25kgs of ginger into a 50L ferment :laughing-rolling:

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby googe » Sun May 12, 2013 5:32 pm

25L batch dave.
250g ground ginger
3L molasses
3kg raw sugar
90g bakers yeast

I can feel a.slight ginger burn in my mouth now after a couple. This is fresh of the still watered to 40%, want to let it sit for a.while yet to get a true taste. Will let ya's know what it's like after a week of rest.
googe

Postby Potmash Boka » Sun May 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Did a very similar rum a few years ago. Try adding 2 star anise with one vanilla bean,1/4 stick of cinnamon and 2 cloves pounded in a mortar and pestle then added to the hot water for the brew. Comes out very similar to capt Morgan's but with the ginger twist. :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Previous

Return to Sugar wash's