Ginger Rum

Sugar wash info and questions

Ginger Rum

Postby googe » Fri May 03, 2013 1:19 am

Hey all, was at my supplier getting molasses today and noticed they had bulk ground ginger, :think: . So grabbed a bag, am going to stick some in a rum wash. Was thinking the whole 1kg but thought that might be to much?, so maybe 500g?. Need some feedback about how much ya think I should put in?. I'm really excited about the flavor, all I can think.about is gingernuts and milk after school :D . Cheers
googe

Ginger Rum

Postby wedwards » Fri May 03, 2013 6:46 am

Depends on the size wash you are making and how much you like ginger I guess
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Re: Ginger Rum

Postby Urrazeb » Fri May 03, 2013 7:58 am

Dried is generally stronger in flavour than fresh, I would get two going and add a modest amount to one and double it for the second, strip separately and go by the smell/flavour during the strip to gauge the next batch. You never stop do ya googe...:smile:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Brendan » Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 am

Urrazeb wrote: You never stop do ya googe...:smile:

Good on ya Googe :handgestures-thumbupleft: Our resident R&D lab rat :-B

I'm tipping no one can tell you how much will work because no one's probably made it before...it might even be in the tried and true in a few months ;-)

Keep pushing the boundaries mate. Love your work :D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Camikaze » Fri May 03, 2013 8:10 am

Yeah :text-+1: mate I like your thinking. I reckon if you get the balance of flavours just right it'll be a cracker. ;-)
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby googe » Fri May 03, 2013 9:01 am

25l, and I don't mind ginger wedwards. Thanks Urrazeb, that's a good idea, think I'll do that :handgestures-thumbupleft: , 250g in the first then work up from there. thanks brendan, Seems they have but http://www.eastsidedistilling.com/our-s ... inger-rum/ I'm guessing they wouldn't share the recipe :laughing-rolling: thanks cam, yeah I reckon it would be very tasty if I got the.balance right, imagine it on plum pudding or something at Chrissy time :drool:
googe

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 10:04 am

I don't think so googe. I reckon you'll find most if not all spiced rum has the spice added after distilling prior to aging, your experiment may not give you the flavors you expect as you are not flavoring with ginger but fermenting them concurrently ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Fri May 03, 2013 10:25 am

I was thinking along the lines of the way my missus does her ginger beer crow. ginger, sugar, yeast, it makes a.beautiful ginger beer and no ginger added at the.end. wouldn't doing it in a rum recipe give the same flavors as a ginger beer ferment plus rum flavors?.
googe

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 10:33 am

yep probably something similar to that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Fri May 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Your a confusing man crow, I thought you were saying it would have no flavor doing like I'm doing it?. I'm still confused what you ment by 'i don't think so googe' ? :))
googe

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 2:30 pm

I mean that example you put up and most other establishment that do spiced rum make a rum and then add the spice . I know I already wrote that but I can't think of another way to say it Maybe just read it real slow like :laughing-rolling: only kidding bud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby googe » Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Cant read the little letters :teasing-neener:
googe

Postby googe » Sat May 04, 2013 2:49 pm

First batch down, macrum recipe with 250g ground ginger. Smells and looks Devine :D . It's come.to life really fast!. It's got like a bubbly ginger cap on it, needs stirin in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby googe » Sat May 11, 2013 12:22 am

Six days on it's still bubbling away nicely, the smell is beautiful, think it's smelling stronger than the start. Really looking forward to seeing what it comes out like.
googe

Postby Brendan » Sat May 11, 2013 12:26 am

You're making me keen for this Googe...

Another idea that I had is...Whisky is distilled beer...Ginger beer is a beer, and tastes awesome.....Ginger Whisky? :dance:
Brendan

Postby MacStill » Sat May 11, 2013 12:32 am

Ginsky :wtf:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 am

Get busy then Brendan :handgestures-thumbupleft: . the ginger seems to give the ferment some guts, it's a lot more alive than the standard rums I put down at the same time.
googe

Postby Brendan » Sat May 11, 2013 12:36 am

MacStill wrote:Ginsky :wtf:

Whinger ;-)
Brendan

Postby MacStill » Sat May 11, 2013 12:54 am

Brendan wrote:
MacStill wrote:Ginsky :wtf:

Whinger ;-)

:music-rockout: :music-tool: :music-rockout:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Sun May 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Just did a quick 10L trial run, came out at 93%. All I can say is someone needs to do this asap so it can be proven!!!. Absolutely beautiful taste, the ginger has come though but not like I thought it would. I thought it would have had a zing like.ginger does but it's kind of a dry sweet taste if that makes sense !. I've tried many spiced rums (shop shit) this is so much better. But it is only my opinion in the end. Would love for someone to try it for a.second opinion.

Cheers
googe

Next

Return to Sugar wash's