Sugar wash info and questions

Feints run - cuts

Postby snig » Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi All,
I tried a few searches on this topic but couldn't find an answer

I've been collecting the feints from all our TPW cooks in a big jar
We ran 5l of feints watered down to 30% on the weekend in a T500
We got 23 200ml jars and covered them with the paper towel
I did the sniff test this arvo and the heads and tails smell a lot better than normal
We usually cut the 1st 4 and the last jars - ie. 800ml either end of the run and keep for feints
My question is to those people who have a done a feints run have they cut theirs the same as a normal run?
I am leaning towards doing the same as I don't want to be greedy as the hearts smell awesome, but jar 4 and 19 smell ok too
Also is it worth keeping the feints of the feints run? maybe just chuck it in the next TPW when I cook it?

Cheers ;-)
snig

equipment: Noob with a turbo 500

Re: Feints run - cuts

Postby Cane Toad » Mon May 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Yeah Snig,keep the feints of a feints run,when you've got enough,you can do a feints of a feints of oh fuck it you know what I mean,also,you can add your feints to the next spirit run too if you want :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As to cuts,only you can tell,if there is plenty of good stuff there,I'd only keep the great stuff,it's not like you're loosing anything,what you don't drink this time you probly will next :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby bt1 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:28 pm

feints of feints = diminishing returns and increased off flavours for mine...

I call it quits on feints run....besides since your in Adelaide the weeds may need drink after this weekend's rain.

given the cut jars a taste then water them up on a teaspoon as normal...your taste buds and nose know what they are doing...you just gotta trust em.

nothing wrong with having a crack at cuts sort most out...if you got a few sus ones come back and be harsh in a couple of days after more airing.

harsh =good for your sole and tastebuds
accommodating = disappointment on drinking

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Feints run - cuts

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon May 13, 2013 6:57 pm

I never keep heads or tails in a feints run. As bt1 said : diminishing returns.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm

yep kinda have to go with the last two posts, You can and there's nothing wrong with that but more effort for less is all :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby snig » Wed May 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Cheers for the feedback and advice guys, yep we cut the same as we normally do, After I wrote this and tested the jars again and noticed the difference
All good.
now we wait

:text-thankyoublue:
snig

equipment: Noob with a turbo 500

Return to Sugar wash's