First TPW run!

Sugar wash info and questions

First TPW run!

Postby Valoren » Thu May 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Hey guys and gals, finally got the time to run my first TPW batch, lovely clean distilate, I'm having to do twice a week 40 liter runs due to the homeowner not approving of my hobby, but I'm really surprised at the results! Much easier to pick the heads, hearts and tails transitions and though I DID run it through carbon it really didn't need that much treatment, just a quick run through my filter instead of the drip drip drip like I needed with turbo washes. Smells really clean, I've got some commercial vodka to compare the smell to and I can't really tell that much of a difference!

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the members here who helped me out in the transition from HBS to the washes practiced here, thanks so much for all the advice you have given me since I joined. Cheers to Baldoss for that incredible oak, I've had some bourbon I had from way back when that was rough as guts on cheap essence and after a few weeks on two dominoes it's just transformed, it's smooth and mellow and lovely, a bit of smokey character from the oak (for some bloody reason I threw in the darkest dominoes I can find so thats probably why!) It's just a whole other bourbon.

You've definitely got me on the bandwagon!
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Re: First TPW run!

Postby JayD » Thu May 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanx for the feedback and your most welcome... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby baldoss » Fri May 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Good stuff mate, glad you had a good result, it's only the beginning! Also happy to hear that the dominoes are already starting to work their magic for the other members, made that whole exercise worthwhile!
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby Valoren » Mon May 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Just finished another run, managed to get 4 liters at about 91 to 92 percent out of a forty liter batch before the temp spiked and the abv dropped, collected till it hit about 45 percent and at that point it was dripping far too slowly and I was pumping too much water through it so I cut my losses and ditched the batch, Question, As far as I know dunder is the liquid left over after it's been stripped of ethanol. What the hell do I do with it? I hear plants will love you for it if you dump it on your garden once it's cooled down, Since it's just TPW is it worth using the remainder as backset in the next batch?
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Valoren wrote:Just finished another run, managed to get 4 liters at about 91 to 92 percent out of a forty liter batch before the temp spiked and the abv dropped, collected till it hit about 45 percent and at that point it was dripping far too slowly and I was pumping too much water through it so I cut my losses and ditched the batch, Question, As far as I know dunder is the liquid left over after it's been stripped of ethanol. What the hell do I do with it? I hear plants will love you for it if you dump it on your garden once it's cooled down, Since it's just TPW is it worth using the remainder as backset in the next batch?

Interesting as it's pretty acidic I thought plants would hate it. Be keen to hear others advice. I've never kept backset from a TPW, normally adding it in is for rum/bourbon or whisky to add flavour. A TPW is meant to give you a neutral with no flavour, so I don't want to add anything to mine that adds any kind of flavour.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Sugar wash's