TPW headache

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: TPW headache

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Yea man you can always re run anything your not happy with. I've had to re run a few disgusting macerations before :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

TPW headache

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Sounds like you have loads of product. It sounds like it ALL needs to go back through the reflux to clean her up some.

The still you have does a really good job of polishing a neutral spirit. It's slow but it works.

So re-run the WHOLE lot of all you have and take tiny 150-200ml cuts. Stubbies, jam jars, pasta jars even wine glasses are fine.

Then air and sniff after re-running everything and tell us what you think. It will be very clean after you re-run.
My other tip would be to really let it reflux for a good 20minutes before you start taking fores.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Milky » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:21 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Sounds like you have loads of product. It sounds like it ALL needs to go back through the reflux to clean her up some.

The still you have does a really good job of polishing a neutral spirit. It's slow but it works.

So re-run the WHOLE lot of all you have and take tiny 150-200ml cuts. Stubbies, jam jars, pasta jars even wine glasses are fine.

Then air and sniff after re-running everything and tell us what you think. It will be very clean after you re-run.
My other tip would be to really let it reflux for a good 20minutes before you start taking fores.

Thanks BB.

I think I'll re run everything I have this long weekend. And I'll do what Linny said about double distill with the next TPW I put down this weekend too.

Am I right in saying I can also run 2 litres of 40 percent I have soaking on blueberries as I'm sure it will give me a fucking headache when it's ready too:-x
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

TPW headache

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Milky wrote:Thanks BB.

I think I'll re run everything I have this long weekend. And I'll do what Linny said about double distill with the next TPW I put down this weekend too.

Am I right in saying I can also run 2 litres of 40 percent I have soaking on blueberries as I'm sure it will give me a fucking headache when it's ready too:-x

I would. I've run all kinds of left over party scraps through mine no probs - Campari (barf!) red goon, whatever...the reflux will be very forgiving.

Not sure I'd bother double distilling - just work on your cuts and more storage vessels. Sounds like a lot of work double distilling using a slow reflux. The point of a reflux is single distilling I'd have thought...
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Linny » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:34 pm

A mate has a t500 he double distills... There is a noticeable difference in quality. Milky has the pot head so im sure it won't take long ... Maybe milky can do a little experiments
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

TPW headache

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Linny wrote:A mate has a t500 he double distills... There is a noticeable difference in quality. Milky has the pot head so im sure it won't take long ... Maybe milky can do a little experiments

Yeah we're all talking about the pure distilling reflux...different kettle of fish to the 500;)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 pm

I have a Pure Distilling still and usually use turbos and recently also started on TPW. I have only ever had a headache when drinking 500ml of 38% in too quick a time. I have yet to overindulge in TPW, but expect it to be OK.

I have only 1 real suggestion. Try stopping at 0.4 degrees past the run temp. There will only be about 800mL until about 90degrees and it is mostly higher alcohols. Keep this for next run. Also, consider some carbon treatment, makes it purer anyway. You could also try that turbo you have. Consider the possibility of infections of your wash too.
Geoff

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Hmmmm, been reading this thread and the only thing I can think is that 1L a minute of coolant correct? Seems bugger all :think:

I have NEVER had a headache from my booze (since learning about cut :)) ) I have woken up real knocked around a few times but there has never been a headache attached :handgestures-thumbupleft: More tired than anything really.

Then again everybody is different and bodies react different ways to different things..but if your mate has the same affect then there must be something going on :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 pm

[quote="sam_and_liv"]Hmmmm, been reading this thread and the only thing I can think is that 1L a minute of coolant correct? Seems bugger all :think:

Could be right, I have never used less than 1.5 litres/min on a recirculated system for the Pure Distilling. Worth a try next time.
Geoff

Postby SBB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Id suggest paying less attention to how much waters going through the still and instead pay more attention to the amount of Product coming out of the still, the slower it comes out the more reflux you are getting, that means higher abv, and cleaner ethanol, hence less rubbish in the heart of the run if you do good cuts.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

TPW headache

Postby Sam. » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:48 pm

SBB wrote:Id suggest paying less attention to how much waters going through the still and instead pay more attention to the amount of Product coming out of the still, the slower it comes out the more reflux you are getting, that means higher abv, and cleaner ethanol, hence less rubbish in the heart of the run if you do good cuts.

I thought with these rigs they are direct proportional?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby SBB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:14 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:I thought with these rigs they are direct proportional?

Sam, just looked at them on the net and from what I can see in pics they are a LM , and yes water flow to the condenser could have some bearing on things, having said that your still going to get a cleaner product running it slower on the output side of things.

Edit: I was thinking CM in my first post.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

TPW headache

Postby Sam. » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:20 pm

SBB wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:I thought with these rigs they are direct proportional?

Sam, just looked at them on the net and from what I can see in pics they are a LM , and yes water flow to the condenser could have some bearing on things, having said that your still going to get a cleaner product running it slower on the output side of things.

Edit: I was thinking CM in my first post.

They are interesting. They are CM by nature but don't achieve what you think to control the output .

Mine was always run by more of a power control and yes with my double banger I could get 95% and that was packed with marbles.

May have to borrow it back off my mate and run it with the camera to confirm once and for all.

If anyone had some free time please feel free to mail it to me...
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

TPW headache

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:If anyone had some free time please feel free to mail it to me...

Now there's a group buy I want in on!
;-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby grehund » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi Milky & all,

Here's my 2c...

I have always run TPW. I started on a home-made Bok & now use a 4-plate bubbler. I have always double-distilled, even on the bubbler. I can certainly notice the difference between a single & double run.

The only time I've had a headache off the TPW is with my last run. I was being greedy and kept a little too much of the heads. It was NOT worth being cheap on my cuts.

Let us know how you go this weekend. I'm sitting here doing a run as we speak. What else are long weekends for? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Postby crow » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:11 pm

The ultra pure still comes with a restricted output valve that if not fucked with can not exceed 1.5 ltrs an hr. yes slower than that will likely be a better result but with that restriction its virtually impossible to take off to fast. long as neither the take off or the packing has been screwed with its your cuts, ya can bet ya left hairy on that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Milky » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Stripping ALL my alcohol with the pot right now. Thanks for all the help so far everybody. You have no idea how much it is appreciated. New TPW being put on tomorrow with a turbo so can try them both and see the results.

I'm running a turbo simply coz it came with my still.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Good stuff mate:-):grin:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby SBB » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks for the clarification on what makes those stills tick Crow
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:23 pm

ang ona minnit :wtf:

First post from OP says reflux still, then pic shows pot still..... :think:

OP wrote

I’ve been taking product at roughly the following temps;

77.8C
78.3C
78.2C
78.3C

Then when temp raises 1 total degree I switch it off.

If that's what you're drinking from that pot still no wonder you get a headache :laughing-rolling:

For once I hope I'm wrong :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

PreviousNext

Return to Sugar wash's