Mash Pump

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Mash Pump

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:56 am

Anyone pump their mash from the fermenter into the boiler? So far I've been transferring the mash using jugs but over 100+ liters it gets to be a real pain so I'm looking to pickup a pump that can pump the liquid and grain into the boiler without blocking/jamming. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Re: Mash Pump

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:16 am

Looking for same thing. No luck yet. Dirty water sump pump prob would not sure if you can get a food grade one..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:11 pm

I was thinking the same thing Bluc. Haven't been able to find anything food grade yet of course hence why asking. I have seen people using cheap submersible pumps but of course their not food grade & generally they are only using it to transfer the liquid from the top, not the grain as well... might just be time to invest in a couple conical fermenters instead if I can't find a pump
hjubm2

Postby Dude » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:22 pm

The big green shed sells a submersible sump pump that will pump large lumps. I know it is not food grade but does it really have to be as the stuff is being boiled? As long as the impeller and chamber are easily cleanable and there are no metal parts exposed (all plastic covered) would it not be OK?
Not saying it is, only my thoughts.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:43 pm

Main problem I can see with the submersible pumps from the Green Shed is that basically all the ones I have seen have a float switch to turn off the pump when the level gets too low, won't be too helpful to drain the bottom of the barrel unless you can somehow disconnect the float switch
Last edited by hjubm2 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hjubm2

Postby Dude » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:45 pm

Big zip-tie holding the float to the pump.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:13 pm

If you want something smaller I use a boat bilge pump with a bit of brew bag over the end to keep the grain out. I only ever pump after fermentation when wash is cold.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Wellsy wrote:If you want something smaller I use a boat bilge pump with a bit of brew bag over the end to keep the grain out. I only ever pump after fermentation when wash is cold.

Cheers Wellsy, did look at a bilge pump but I want to be able to suck up all the grain as well to go into the boiler and as far as I can tell the bilge pumps don't appear to be able to do solids
hjubm2

Postby Nathan02 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:13 pm

I use a manual bilge pump bolted to wall works a treat
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby pistolknight79 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:34 pm

search rotary lobe pump i reckon that would pump it but $$$$$$$$
pistolknight79

equipment: 6" copper tee 4 plate

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:05 pm

Easiest and cheapest way is just mount your fermenters above the height of the top of the boiler then just siphon the wash into the boiler. I soft soldered up some 30 micron SS mesh to make a filter and used some 1/2" copper tube which with a bit of heat on the tube to allow the 1/2" tube to slide inside the plastic tube and form a seal. Then I use use some 1/2" ag pipe to keep the plastic tube straight and make it 2"'s longer than the filter so the filter stays out of the trub and it doesn't take that long to do.

Then no pump is needed at all and just a quick wash of the plastic tube after use has it ready for next time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby pistolknight79 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:11 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Easiest and cheapest way is just mount your fermenters above the height of the top of the boiler then just siphon the wash into the boiler. I soft soldered up some 30 micron SS mesh to make a filter and used some 1/2" copper tube which with a bit of heat on the tube to allow the 1/2" tube to slide inside the plastic tube and form a seal. Then I use use some 1/2" ag pipe to keep the plastic tube straight and make it 2"'s longer than the filter so the filter stays out of the trub and it doesn't take that long to do.

Then no pump is needed at all and just a quick wash of the plastic tube after use has it ready for next time :handgestures-thumbupleft:

i think he wants the grain in the boiler
could siphon in aswell but then to get it out the boiler
pistolknight79

equipment: 6" copper tee 4 plate

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:40 pm

Or 2"drain into a bucket then into boiler..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:33 pm

I went and bought some gear of a beer brewer, an older gentleman, he was using one of these hydraulic table trolley's to great effect.

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/twm- ... g8QAvD_BwE

One decade when I get a shed, I will be using one ton version of these with some pallet racking, unless I get a new tractor n a forks attachment...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby BB_B » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:00 pm

I use a food grade pump but im thinking of buying a dirty water pump with a grain bag over it to stop floaties for filling up boiler, when it gets low and stops ill reach in and lift up the float. large boilers take time, over the 10 mins it takes for the keg king one. dirty water could have 100+ litres done in a minute or less if the hose can handle it

or just buy a bigger food grade pump :think:
Last edited by BB_B on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BB_B

equipment: 4" procap bubbler with packed section
120l boiler
50l boiler
malted grain whisky

Postby iOnaBender » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:25 pm

Maybe I'm looking at this differently, but would you just pump liquid into boiler with affordable pump methods mentioned and then scoop or tip grains in once the bulk of the weight has been transfered? :think:

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby BB_B » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:06 pm

iOnaBender wrote:Maybe I'm looking at this differently, but would you just pump liquid into boiler with affordable pump methods mentioned and then scoop or tip grains in once the bulk of the weight has been transfered? :think:

Cheers

why do you want the grain in there? i avoid that around my elements although its never grain free with my pump.
BB_B

equipment: 4" procap bubbler with packed section
120l boiler
50l boiler
malted grain whisky

Postby hjubm2 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:30 am

iOnaBender wrote:Maybe I'm looking at this differently, but would you just pump liquid into boiler with affordable pump methods mentioned and then scoop or tip grains in once the bulk of the weight has been transfered? :think:

Cheers

Yea I might have to do that if I can't find a pump that can move all the solids.

BB_B wrote:

Cheers

why do you want the grain in there? i avoid that around my elements although its never grain free with my pump.

My boiler is a jacketed boiler so no exposed elements or anything for the grain etc to come into contact with. Distilling on the grain.

RuddyCrazy wrote:Easiest and cheapest way is just mount your fermenters above the height of the top of the boiler then just siphon the wash into the boiler. I soft soldered up some 30 micron SS mesh to make a filter and used some 1/2" copper tube which with a bit of heat on the tube to allow the 1/2" tube to slide inside the plastic tube and form a seal. Then I use use some 1/2" ag pipe to keep the plastic tube straight and make it 2"'s longer than the filter so the filter stays out of the trub and it doesn't take that long to do.

I did think about mounting the fermenters above the boiler level but I don't have the room to be able to do it & with 200L+ fermenters it's a bit hard with the weight etc

Cheers for all the ideas/thoughts guys
hjubm2

Postby atec77 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:09 pm

hjubm2 wrote:Anyone pump their mash from the fermenter into the boiler? So far I've been transferring the mash using jugs but over 100+ liters it gets to be a real pain so I'm looking to pickup a pump that can pump the liquid and grain into the boiler without blocking/jamming. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

Macerating sullage pump works but check the seal construction some wont be good for you , an ok pump will run $150>$200 and your back will thank you
I use a 200l stainless drum and gas to heat things then pump it to a blue drum after conversion, once fermentd through an industial juicer and on into the boiler
atec77

equipment: Reflux
4 plate
6 plate

Postby Clickeral » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:37 pm

Considered using a wet/dry shop vac? and doing some mods
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Next

Return to The Mash tun