1V Setups Braumeister / Robobrew/ Grainfather- Corn mashing?

all about mashing and fermenting grains

1V Setups Braumeister / Robobrew/ Grainfather- Corn mashing?

Postby bluess57 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Anyone done corn mashes in 1 vessel setups aka in Braumeister / Robobrew/ Grainfather setups
How'd it go , do the screens & false bottoms get clogged with corn?

I'm contemplating making a malt pipe from a BigW 19l Stockpot & recirc setup, and using it in the keg boiler I have for beer.

Similar to a setup like seen here without using a bag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5SLwDvmil4

Not going to use my esky mashtun for corn, too much hassle transferring liquids and solids to fermenters.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Re: 1V Setups Braumeister / Robobrew/ Grainfather- Corn mash

Postby warramungas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am

I've heard that all corn can be problematic. I haven't used my grainfather yet as I'm just in the middle of a move so this is just heresay. However if you use other grain in reasonable quantities (like malt, wheat, etc) with the corn its not too bad. If you're not sure (and I'm not either) put a good serve of rice hulls the first couple of times and ease off until you know what works.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby tipsy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:48 am

Never tried it in my Braumeister. (I'm not game enough)
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Teddysad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Yes have had lots of success and one disaster with my Robobrew.

Big mistake is to have the grain too fine. I did this with an all corn mash. The corn was finely ground and It formed a mud at the bottom of the malt tube which overheated the system and blew the thermal cutout.
Great service from Robobrew got me another one fast and I learned my lesson.

Otherwise have had several good whisky / bourbon runs using both malted grains and enzymes.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby bluess57 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Teddysad wrote:Yes have had lots of success and one disaster with my Robobrew.

Big mistake is to have the grain too fine. I did this with an all corn mash. The corn was finely ground and It formed a mud at the bottom of the malt tube which overheated the system and blew the thermal cutout.

Otherwise have had several good whisky / bourbon runs using both malted grains and enzymes.

Has your robobrew got a pump, are you recirculating and what temp (i.e can you outline your process)
and are you getting good conversion/efficiency.
bluess57

Postby Nino » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm

bluess57 wrote:

Has your robobrew got a pump, are you recirculating and what temp (i.e can you outline your process)

:text-+1: I would be interested ion the information too. As I have a Robo brew, does a good job with single malts.
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:06 pm

That video looks good. I have a rims ordered and am currently on the hunt for a controller. But I will be going false bottom and batch sparge. Maybe fly sparge... rather than biab biac...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby tipsy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:18 am

Nino wrote:
bluess57 wrote:

:text-+1: I would be interested ion the information too. As I have a Robo brew, does a good job with single malts.

:text-+1: :text-+1: Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try corn in the BM
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby PeterC » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi Teddy, I know this is an old thread but I am just getting the hang of my 40L Guten single tank mashing. I have malt barley sorted but corn is a hassle. I am currently dealing with 5kg of flaked maize and it is not going well. My grister makes small pieces but also a bit of flour. Cooking at 75C for 90 min then cooling to 65C and adding 3kg malted barley. Do you have any mash bills and recipes to do bourbon this way that you can share?

May give this all up and wait for Angel yeast and do corn that way but delivery on that if poor from eBay as well. Thanks.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby PeterC » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Well that was a waste of time I think. Added the barley, mixed it in well and the starch to sugar conversion seemed to go well, the recirculating liquid went nice and clear and the sparge was good but I only got a SG of 1.035
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby bluess57 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:29 pm

Throw some sugar in
Was it 5kg of corn ?
Last edited by bluess57 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluess57

Postby PeterC » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:35 am

bluess57 wrote:Throw some sugar in
Was it 5kg of corn ?

Yes 5kg flaked corn, 3kg malted barley. Good idea I can build this up with sugar and salvage something but the idea is to be all grain.
PeterC

Postby bluess57 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:18 am

Your O.G. suggests to me that you got no conversion of the corn.
The 3kg of malt would.
75C for 90mins wouldn't be hot enough or long enough for gelatization from my understanding
Also check the diastatic power of the malt.
bluess57

Postby Teddysad » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 am

Just readdressing this with a system I have evolved. I don’t use the centre tube in the malt pipe, and have closed off the hole in the bottom screen. I do the corn/ maize seperate to the cereals. First run is corn not too finely ground. Heat water only up to 91c. Add the HTL enzyme and adjust pH to around 6.0. Add the corn to the water, stirring and let the temp cool to 88c. Cook for 90 mins, stirring well every 10 to 15 mins. By then temp has dropped a little. Add the GL enzyme and a little citric acid to drop pH to around 5.2. Power off and let it sit for 30 mins stirring frequently.
I then lift the malt pipe and let it drain.
Take off the liquid. Then close the tap and sparge with hot tap water to rinse remaining sugars. Discard the corn, top up the boiler with fresh water leaving the sparged water in for the next batch, and repeat the process. That gives me 2 lots of corn “juice”.
After the second sparge top up again and heat to 70c . This is for the cereals - barley wheat rye. In the combinations to suit the mash bill. Again pH adjusted to 6.0. The cereals I cook at 66c for 1 hour, before adding Sebflo Ttl in place of the GL and again adjusting to 5.2 pH. After 30 mins I lift the malt pipe and allow it to drain. This time I catch the sparge water in the drained stuff. Discard the cereal grains.
I now have 3 lots of juice to combine and ferment. My iodine tests show I get a good conversion.

I don’t claim this to be the only way but I have found this works for me to hot mash an all grain bourbon / American whiskey style in the Robobrew

The liquid enzymes avoid the heavy porridge effect and makes stirring, important to avoid clumping, scorching and overheating. I keep the pump running while stirring.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby PeterC » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:06 pm

How many kg of corn in each mash on the Robobrew Teddy? Might give this another try. Doing Angel yeast washes ATM. I originally bought flaked maize which has been steam treated and meant to be gelatinized already. Now just get crushed corn. Sourcing enzymes can be a problem HBS sell Still Spirits dry alpha amylase and glucoamylase in small sachets. These may do.
PeterC

Postby Teddysad » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:59 pm

Usually 5kg corn and 22l of water
Teddysad

Return to The Mash tun