Mash not required

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Mash not required

Postby Wellsy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Just done my first 24 hour stir and it is chugging away.
Just got hold of English instructions and it is saying stir twice a day for the first three days.
What have most people been doing, once a day or twice a day for the first 3 days ?
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RC Al » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:04 pm

I did twice a day for sure, They dont give many instructions, so I dare say the ones they give are required to get things working well
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby virge » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:36 pm

bluc wrote:All more liquid will do is add heat up time. If worried bout scorching leave to clear then rack off the top. Be more fussy with what you leave out Adding extra water wont help you get out more alcohol..

Hi Bluc, thanks for advice. You are always spot on. I want at least 35l in the boiler because in my keg, 15l is just enough to cover the heating element. With less water I was worried I could not rack at least 30L from each drum.
virge

equipment: DIY potstill

Postby Sam. » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:33 pm

Has anyone looked into how this yeast actually works so effectively?

The way I see it, it could have no where near the same flavour profile as a traditional malt whisky etc mash..... :think:
Last edited by Sam. on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby howard » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:09 am

angel instructions sent to me.................
Instructions for 10kg of grain

Mill Grain to size to suit your usual Sparging method.

Mix with 25-30L of hot water (Boiling hot is best), keep mixing frequently to prevent sedimentation.

After the temperature has naturally cooled to about 90°F/32? (dont chill it, the rest time lets some of the the starch break down), add 50-80g of Angel Yeast, Stir through well.

Mix twice every day in the first three days.

Control the temperature to be in the 28-36C range, the optimal fermentation temperature is around 32?, Max you should let it get to is 38C, If the mash gets below 26C consider adding insulation to your fermenter, it will work at lower temps, but the ranges mentioned are optimal for speed.

8-15 day ferments are normal with shorter and longer times possible due to local water supply, the grain used and so on. SG readings are of no use due to the co-operative way the yeast works with the enzymes over the full time of the ferment. It is finished when there is no activity for 2-3 days
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Wellsy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:33 am

Thanks RC

Howard my instructions were exactly the same on the second lot I ordered :)

No idea how it works Sam. I have never done a mah the traditional way. I am expecting a richer flavour profile than my sugar washes produce. Time will tell if my expectations were realistic or not
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:12 am

Sam. wrote:Has anyone looked into how this yeast actually works so effectively?

The way I see it, it could have no where near the same flavour profile as a traditional malt whisky etc mash..... :think:

Its bunch enzymes designed to work at ambient temp mixed with a selected yeast strain. Makes a real nice burbon or whiskey.
Would be interesting if they would alter the yeast to what you want or if you could just buy pack of the enzyme pitch your own fav strain of yeast.
I had concerns at first but my malt/malted rye whiskey only made it to 4mnths old before being swilled..really nice flavours :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Lesgold » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Been off the radar for a few months playing with other hobbies. Time to get back into it again. Anyone tried using just wheat to make a neutral for gin? Would be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Les
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:21 pm

I believe wheat is a popular choice for vodka. Should be great :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Tesla101 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:39 am

I've just been doing weet-bix sugar washes as a neutral for gin, but would love to learn how to do a wheat and barley malt mash/ferment.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Lesgold » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:53 am

Hi Tesla,

I normally use TFFV or TPW for gin neutral. Just wanted to get away from a sugar wash and try all grain to see if it impacts on the quality of the gin. If it’s a winner, all good. If there is negligible difference, it’s back to the TFFV for me. That’s the fun Part of this hobby. Playing with recipes to improve the quality of the product is what I really enjoy.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Tesla101 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:14 am

Thanks Les. That's the same reason why I want to try it. I also love to experiment, it's a great way to learn.

I've read that any type of sugar wash gives you that "sugar bite", whereas an AG wash is a lot smoother. That's what I want to play around with and taste for myself (rather than just buying GNS). I think a neutral is a good place to start, where other flavours are not present.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:54 am

Lesgold wrote:Hi Guys,

Been off the radar for a few months playing with other hobbies. Time to get back into it again. Anyone tried using just wheat to make a neutral for gin? Would be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Les

I have Lesgold came out better than i thought. I did 10kgs of wheat malt in a 50ltr. Ran through 4 plates with a 800mm packed section. Left a very subtle note of wheat but the mouth feel was very noticeably different.
brisvalleymoonshiner

equipment: Copper 4 plate 800mm packed section 50ltr keg boiler

Postby PeterC » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:06 pm

I have 20kg of gristed barley on the go now for 13 days. The first 3 days it fizzed like crazy (wild yeast I think) and I stirred it twice a day. It stayed warm from the ferment around 35 degrees then day 6 it settled down. Now at 13 days liquid is still cloudy and has a sour smell. Sitting at 25 degrees. How do I know when it is finished, does it go clear on top?

Thanks.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby bluc » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:55 pm

I stir the mash and if the cap sinks more or less straight away its done..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Lesgold » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:21 pm

Finally put down my first brew using this stuff. 5 kg of wheat (milled fine) and rain water to 32 degrees. 27l all up. I generally go to 28 l with a TFFV and it works out fine. 1/2 a teaspoon of DAP and a pinch of Epsom salts, pitched the yeast and gave it a good stir. Just checked it a few minutes ago. There was sh#t everywhere. The bloody thing went off like a volcano. Cleaned up the mess and gave it another stir. Gee this Angel yeast goes off. Had to loosen the lid to keep it under control. Hopefully it will settle down a bit tomorrow. At least I know that it works. Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers

Les
Lesgold

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:34 am

Lesgold wrote:Finally put down my first brew using this stuff. 5 kg of wheat (milled fine) and rain water to 32 degrees. 27l all up. I generally go to 28 l with a TFFV and it works out fine. 1/2 a teaspoon of DAP and a pinch of Epsom salts, pitched the yeast and gave it a good stir. Just checked it a few minutes ago. There was sh#t everywhere. The bloody thing went off like a volcano. Cleaned up the mess and gave it another stir. Gee this Angel yeast goes off. Had to loosen the lid to keep it under control. Hopefully it will settle down a bit tomorrow. At least I know that it works. Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers

Les

5 kg of wheat is that enough grain to get high enough alcohol content .
wynnum1

Postby Lesgold » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:15 am

Not sure at this stage. This is only my first play with Angel yeast and grain. Will see what happens after the stripping run and will learn/ adjust from that. Brew settled down overnight and was gurgling away slowly after a stir.
Lesgold

Postby RC Al » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:44 am

Thats going to end up pretty low mate, your water to grain ratio is 4-4.2? to 1 - might land at 4%? we really cant measure it until it gets stripped though...

Recomended is 2.5-3L per kg - Bluc has gone as low as 2.66

Dap n epsoms was a good idea to try, possibly not on your first go lols, but well done for a bit of out of the packet thinking, now a bunch of other people are going to have messes to clean up trying too :))
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Lesgold » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks RC. Just wanted to have a bit of a play before jumping in to far. You are most likely correct as far as alcohol content is concerned. Will be interested to see how long it chugs away for. Looks like upscaling the fermenters may be the go if it all works out.
Lesgold

PreviousNext

Return to The Mash tun