Mash not required

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Mash not required

Postby dans.brew » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:15 pm

Lesgold wrote:Hey Dan. Just out of interest, any results from the sugar wash using the spent corn?

None as yet Les.. still gently bubbling away in the shed. If i could keep it at 30 degs instead of 25 it would prob be done by now.
dans.brew
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:26 pm
Location: Victoria- Northern Wimmera
equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Re: Mash not required

Postby Beerswimmer » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:45 am

This morning the bubbling in the fermenters has slowed considerably, looks like they are nearly done. 3 days with improved stirring and being in my very hot garage has done the trick! One is even starting to get some lacto pellicle growing on it. Tonight I'll add backset to the lacto one and get my still ready for the next round of stripping when the gravity is near 1.000. :happy-partydance:
Beerswimmer
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:32 am
Location: US of A
equipment: Pot only!!

Re: Mash not required

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:57 am

bluc wrote:I have my ispindle sitting in mine I will post a shot of the chart when it finishs. Logs gravity and temp and calculates abv. Not sure if abv will be accurate, though temp and gravity will be :handgestures-thumbupleft: thats what it looks like after 2 days will post another when it finishs.

angel.jpg


Quick off topic question dan. Where did you buy this from. Very interested :handgestures-thumbupleft:
brisvalleymoonshiner
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:19 pm
equipment: Copper 4 plate 800mm packed section 50ltr keg boiler

Re: Mash not required

Postby mattyb » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:37 pm

Where is everyone getting the yeast from now? Can’t find it locally but see it on fleabay
mattyb
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: WA
equipment: 4" Glasser

Re: Mash not required

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:53 pm

brisvalleymoonshiner wrote:
bluc wrote:I have my ispindle sitting in mine I will post a shot of the chart when it finishs. Logs gravity and temp and calculates abv. Not sure if abv will be accurate, though temp and gravity will be :handgestures-thumbupleft: thats what it looks like after 2 days will post another when it finishs.

angel.jpg


Quick off topic question dan. Where did you buy this from. Very interested :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You mean my ispindle its open source assemble it soldering needed then it runs on open source software. If you can solder is a simple project..
bluc
 
Posts: 7626
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Mash not required

Postby dans.brew » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:01 pm

mattyb wrote:Where is everyone getting the yeast from now? Can’t find it locally but see it on fleabay

Thats where i got mine.. back in feb/march.
dans.brew
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:26 pm
Location: Victoria- Northern Wimmera
equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Re: Mash not required

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:49 pm

bluc wrote:
brisvalleymoonshiner wrote:
bluc wrote:I have my ispindle sitting in mine I will post a shot of the chart when it finishs. Logs gravity and temp and calculates abv. Not sure if abv will be accurate, though temp and gravity will be :handgestures-thumbupleft: thats what it looks like after 2 days will post another when it finishs.

angel.jpg


Quick off topic question dan. Where did you buy this from. Very interested :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You mean my ispindle its open source assemble it soldering needed then it runs on open source software. If you can solder is a simple project..

Parts are cheap from china think i completed 8 for $100 pm me if your interested I can give you a hand on what to buy calibration etc
bluc
 
Posts: 7626
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Mash not required

Postby hupthomas » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi Bluc can I PM you once I have done enough posts to be allowed to please mate to get same list of parts as I’m pretty handy with soldering and am interested .Cheers Hup
hupthomas
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:45 pm
Location: Longreach QLD
equipment: 3 inch glasser

Re: Mash not required

Postby hupthomas » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:31 pm

mattyb wrote:Where is everyone getting the yeast from now? Can’t find it locally but see it on fleabay

Mate ordered some last week off internet from China will let you know if it arrives
hupthomas
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:45 pm
Location: Longreach QLD
equipment: 3 inch glasser

Re: Mash not required

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:37 pm

hupthomas wrote:Hi Bluc can I PM you once I have done enough posts to be allowed to please mate to get same list of parts as I’m pretty handy with soldering and am interested .Cheers Hup

Yep for sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
 
Posts: 7626
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Mash not required

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:53 pm

hupthomas wrote:
mattyb wrote:Where is everyone getting the yeast from now? Can’t find it locally but see it on fleabay

Mate ordered some last week off internet from China will let you know if it arrives

What sort drinks you like hupthomas?
bluc
 
Posts: 7626
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Mash not required

Postby hupthomas » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:53 pm

bluc wrote:
hupthomas wrote:
mattyb wrote:Where is everyone getting the yeast from now? Can’t find it locally but see it on fleabay

Mate ordered some last week off internet from China will let you know if it arrives

What sort drinks you like hupthomas?


Bluc like whiskey ,rum and beer.I do a lot of all grain beer but want to give spirits a good go .Cheers
Hup
hupthomas
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:45 pm
Location: Longreach QLD
equipment: 3 inch glasser

Re: Mash not required

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:05 am

bluc wrote:
brisvalleymoonshiner wrote:
bluc wrote:I have my ispindle sitting in mine I will post a shot of the chart when it finishs. Logs gravity and temp and calculates abv. Not sure if abv will be accurate, though temp and gravity will be :handgestures-thumbupleft: thats what it looks like after 2 days will post another when it finishs.

angel.jpg


Quick off topic question dan. Where did you buy this from. Very interested :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You mean my ispindle its open source assemble it soldering needed then it runs on open source software. If you can solder is a simple project..

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
brisvalleymoonshiner
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:19 pm
equipment: Copper 4 plate 800mm packed section 50ltr keg boiler

Re: Mash not required

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:54 pm

Ok this time I think its done.

angel yeast final.jpg


and anyone wants a closer look here is an excell file
Gravity Device 1 - L2 - Angel day 2_graph.xlsx


:-B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluc
 
Posts: 7626
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Mash not required

Postby MartinCash » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:39 pm

Sorry for going slightly OT. bluc, can I ask what you're using as a sensor and datalogger for this? Looks interesting.
MartinCash
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm
Location: Tassie
equipment: 50L Boiler, copper pot still, copper 50mm VM column.

Re: Mash not required

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:21 pm

"Ispindle". Open source wifi enabled hydromter..open source server software "fermentrack" running on linux in a virtual pc.
bluc
 
Posts: 7626
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Mash not required

Postby MartinCash » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks bluc, I found them. Awesome project. No worries about Linux, it's my daily driver and I run it on my servers. I also have a few D1 Mini boards sitting around, so I might give this a go for my next rainy weekend project!
Last edited by MartinCash on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartinCash
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm
Location: Tassie
equipment: 50L Boiler, copper pot still, copper 50mm VM column.

Re: Mash not required

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Pulled 35l liquid out of grain is heating up. Didnt clear it pretty muddy see how we go..
bluc
 
Posts: 7626
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Mash not required

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:06 pm

MartinCash wrote:Thanks bluc, I found them. Awesome project. No worries about Linux, it's my daily driver and I run it on my servers. I also have a few D1 Mini boards sitting around, so I might give this a go for my next rainy weekend project!

Check out fermentrack I found it to be the best /easiest back end for the ispindles..
Check out pcb v4 rather than a 3d printed sled. I think it would be a better option..
Last edited by bluc on Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
 
Posts: 7626
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Mash not required

Postby Lesgold » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:42 pm

Not bad after the initial 40l. So you’re sitting there watching some porn on a Sunday afternoon. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: way to go. Can’t wait to hear your results.
Lesgold
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:42 pm
Location: NSW south coast
equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

PreviousNext

Return to The Mash tun



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

x