Corn whiskey using a braumiester

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Corn whiskey using a braumiester

Postby Matt_Pl » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi All,

After reading make pure corn whiskey by Ian smiley a friend of mine has put me on to hygain micrmaize, Ive searched the forums with only one hit so I thought I’d ask.

Have many others had success with hygain micrmaize?

It gelentises at 90oC so ill prep 23 litres , ph 6 I’ll heat it up to 90, drop in 4 kgs of hygain micrmaize, stir and then cool to 63, add 1kg Malted barley, 400 grams of rye and recirculate for 60 mins.

Then I’ll hot cube until I’ve got enough to single pass on 4 plates cut and drop onto medium char.

Micrmaize is available locally in Darwin, unfortunately most basic grain must be freighted which doubles the costs.

Keen to hear others experience with it, or I’m happy to let you all know how it pains out.

Thanks all

Link below:

https://www.hygain.com.au/feeds/micrmaize/
Last edited by Matt_Pl on Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: Corn whiskey using a braumiester

Postby Georgio » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:00 am

Hi Matt,

Mate when I run corn at that high a ratio I normally need 15% rice hulls to allow recirc or in my case sparge.

Sounds like a nice bourbon in the making :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Georgio on Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby tipsy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:05 pm

I've had some success using the Braumeister first with flaked maize and then with malted corn although I have been keeping the ratios near 50/50 with barley.
I'm looking forward to hear how the micrmaize goes as it must be a lot cheaper than what I've been doing.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:01 pm

I have found gealtinize corn add malt or barley once its has thinned back out then start recirc to squeeze out full conversion..
Otherwise the starch will clog everything, lines, pump and will then burn on element. (Ask me how I know) :text-+1: on use of rice hulls use plenty and mix well. I also pre soaked the hulls to stop them sucking up mash water.. easier to work out strike and sparge amounts that way. To give you an idea of amount of rice hulls i filled a 20l bucket then topped up with water left it overnight then mixed by hand with 10kg ground corn put that in 40l boiling water in my insulated tun let it sit till it was porridge(about 3 hrs, finer corn will gelatinize faster then coarse but too fine and you will never sparge it) then added enzyme. Let sit hr then started recirc..sparged and fermented :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Teddysad » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:10 am

I use a not too fine maize in my robobrew. However I add the a liquid amylase as the water is heating up this keeps the mixture pretty liquid and avoids that thick porridge stage. Using the Sebstar hintemp stuff.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Return to The Mash tun