Infusing more flavour

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Infusing more flavour

Postby gazzat » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:52 pm

Hi all,

Just had a thought, has anyone noticed a boost in flavour by leaving an all grain wash in the fermentor once finished to "infuse" more flavour in finished product ? :think:
gazzat

equipment: 4" Glasser with 500mm packed section & FSD 50L milk can :)

T500 - Retired.

Re: Infusing more flavour

Postby dans.brew » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:34 pm

gazzat wrote:Hi all,

Just had a thought, has anyone noticed a boost in flavour by leaving an all grain wash in the fermentor once finished to "infuse" more flavour in finished product ? :think:

I think most of the flavour would be in the wash once fermented. The other thing to consider is AG wash is more likely to get infections if you leave it sit around too long once fermented.
A suger wash however can sit a lot longer especially if its well sealed. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Re: Infusing more flavour

Postby Lowie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:33 pm

As an AG beer brewer, I use my spent grains from the mash to make a sugarhead. Definitely get the flavours of various mashes coming over when I run it through the bubbler for a vodka style spirit. Even if you get an infection doesn't really matter as it cleans up thru the still.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to The Mash tun