Questions about malted corn! I need your wisdom

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Questions about malted corn! I need your wisdom

Postby M8Harry » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:52 pm

Hi all,

While I am relatively new to distilling compared to most of you, I am picking it up and I plan to do a bit of all grain and a bit of neutral for the essences i really enjoy.

I have 2 decommissioned kegs for conversion to AG gear. I plan to cut the lid out of one and mount some legs on it and a platform for a gas burner under it and i have a simple mash tun, i do plan to ferment on grain to start with. The 2nd keg i have no plans for yet.

My main questions about AG is Malted Corn.

I had this notion of making a corn whiskey using flaked maize and malted corn as the enzyme source but some sites show malted corn has a low diastatic power and some sites say it has zero and I'm really confused.

Am I wrong when I think of corn whiskey being exclusively corn? (no barley)

Even the Traditional Appalachian (U.S.) sweet mash corn whiskey recipe on the site says you can make it on corn malt but if it has zero diastatic power then we have a problem with conversion, but if the recipe says you can do it then I must be missing something.

I spoke to a local Gladfields distributor and he said the malted corn he stocks has ZERO diastatic power, so if its a malted grain with zero enzyme action why would people use it over flaked maize?

Looking for a bit of guidance please.
M8Harry

equipment: Pure distilling Reflux Still with a 25L boiler

5 star mk2 visualiser and 50L milk can boiler

Re: Questions about malted corn! I need your wisdom

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:11 pm

What do you pay for the corn as it can be malted but unless going to be done in bulk is going to take a lot of effort for little reward .
The other option is to buy malted grain and mash that with corn which would be ok if can buy in bulk at a good price or go the angel no mash yeast. The other option is to buy enzymes and do all enzyme corn mash.
wynnum1

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:00 am

From what I have read it has enough dp to convert itself. Do they steam cook the corn once malted thus killing enzymes?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby M8Harry » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:53 pm

wynnum1 wrote:What do you pay for the corn as it can be malted but unless going to be done in bulk is going to take a lot of effort for little reward .
The other option is to buy malted grain and mash that with corn which would be ok if can buy in bulk at a good price or go the angel no mash yeast. The other option is to buy enzymes and do all enzyme corn mash.

$6 per kg off the website I was looking at. I have not purchased any yet. But they list hte DP as zero so i was a bit iffy about buying it.
M8Harry

Postby M8Harry » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:53 pm

bluc wrote:From what I have read it has enough dp to convert itself. Do they steam cook the corn once malted thus killing enzymes?

Not sure but I am going to ask!
M8Harry

Postby BradM » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:45 pm

M8Harry wrote:Hi all,

Most American whiskeys are 70-78% corn. They use around 10-12% malted barley or sometimes malted wheat for the DP and the rest rye for flavour.
Doing a search online for bourbon malt bills will reveal most of the grain bills of the big distillers.
BradM

equipment: Pure Distilling boka. 1st edition.

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 pm

BradM wrote:
M8Harry wrote:Hi all,

Most American whiskeys are 70-78% corn. They use around 10-12% malted barley or sometimes malted wheat for the DP and the rest rye for flavour.
Doing a search online for bourbon malt bills will reveal most of the grain bills of the big distillers.

The corn they grow now is not the same as corn grown years ago and getting bigger crop per hectare and could be GMO .Bloody Butcher Corn is one type they are using for bourbon but more expensive to grow and corn cross pollinates and hard to keep genuine seed for replanting.
wynnum1

Postby chipboy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:15 am

Discussed with a distiller in a small town in USA (Frederick, Maryland) he sources non GMIO corn as the stuff they are growing is high protein for the animals (us included) where as he wanted a more balanced corn for brewing. Hard initially as a certain company had all the locals growing GMO but as time goes he offers more $ per unit weight and has a real need, they are coming around.

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:37 pm

chipboy wrote:Discussed with a distiller in a small town in USA (Frederick, Maryland) he sources non GMIO corn as the stuff they are growing is high protein for the animals (us included) where as he wanted a more balanced corn for brewing. Hard initially as a certain company had all the locals growing GMO but as time goes he offers more $ per unit weight and has a real need, they are coming around.

Some of the GMO corn creates its own enzymes so when the mash do not have to add enzyme and corn can wind pollinates over long distance so if get contamination or corn gets mixed with other corn and use to say make corn chips can make unsaleable from the enzymes.
A lot of the GMO is also so they can spray with herbicide and the corn plants are imune.
wynnum1

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:14 pm

wynnum1 wrote:
chipboy wrote:Discussed with a distiller in a small town in USA (Frederick, Maryland) he sources non GMIO corn as the stuff they are growing is high protein for the animals (us included) where as he wanted a more balanced corn for brewing. Hard initially as a certain company had all the locals growing GMO but as time goes he offers more $ per unit weight and has a real need, they are coming around.

Some of the GMO corn creates its own enzymes so when the mash do not have to add enzyme and corn can wind pollinates over long distance so if get contamination or corn gets mixed with other corn and use to say make corn chips can make unsaleable from the enzymes.
A lot of the GMO is also so they can spray with herbicide and the corn plants are imune.

Yea take a look at the ABC doco on using round up and it shows the US farmers that are hell bent on using it as it won't kill their GM corn crops that goes into making fuel.

Far better off just going to country produce store and getting cracked corn in a 20kg sack, but ask first if it has been sprayed with herbicides first as they will some that are and some that aren't.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby M8Harry » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:24 pm

Ok so a bit of an update.

I reached out to the company selling the malted corn. Turns out it does have DP of 25. Not enough to self convert but more than 0 so thats something.

SO if I do an all corn whiskey ill have to use some enzymes no biggie.

The plus side is i can do a side by side taste comparison of all corn whiskey vs mostly corn whiskey with some 6 row barley for the DP boost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by M8Harry on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M8Harry

Return to The Mash tun