Advice on a grain mill

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Advice on a grain mill

Postby kiwispirit » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 pm

Hi all, was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the below mills. I mainly wanna do bourbon so mostly corn with a small amount of barley, rye, wheat etc. I read a post from Dec 2018 from wobblyboot saying he got one of the blue mills said it was good and fast but has it lasted? Anyone else used one or can recommend a better one?
Cheers
Screenshot_20210203-202354_Amazon Shopping.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kiwispirit

equipment: 2.5" VM still, 50lt keg with 3" sight glass on 3 ring burner, wheelie bin AC water re-circulating system, modular pot still attachment to the vm still

Re: Advice on a grain mill

Postby RC Al » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:40 am

I just bought a blue one, its pretty loud doing corn and I didnt try to push the speed yet, but overall im happy with it.
Others l know with them havent had any issues, there are replacement grinding disks available too.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:53 am

Barley and Hops Brewing on youtube looks to be using that mill.
I put corn through a big coffee grinder and found that grinding corn can create heat so if going to do a lot of corn may be worth letting cool down if starts to warm up.
Mockmill is another mill but do not seem to be able to buy in Australia at a good price and can make your own corn flour.
wynnum1

Postby Dude » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:49 pm

I have one of the blue ones, I will be giving it a whirl this weekend. I am in Brisvegas if u want to come check it out b4 you buy.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby kiwispirit » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:38 am

Awesome guys, thanks for the info, I have ordered one of the blue mills to start my AG brewing journey. They look like they really munch up the corn really fast and easy so took the plunge, cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
All good Dude, cheers for the help :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kiwispirit

equipment: 2.5" VM still, 50lt keg with 3" sight glass on 3 ring burner, wheelie bin AC water re-circulating system, modular pot still attachment to the vm still

Postby Dude » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:56 am

No worries :clap:
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby Dude » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:03 pm

kiwispirit wrote:Hi all, was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the below mills. I mainly wanna do bourbon so mostly corn with a small amount of barley, rye, wheat etc. I read a post from Dec 2018 from wobblyboot saying he got one of the blue mills said it was good and fast but has it lasted? Anyone else used one or can recommend a better one?
Cheers
Screenshot_20210203-202354_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Just used mine for the first time and wow, it just demolishes anything you put in it and in a short period of time. Well worth the money.
It is very loud when "munching" grain and as the hopper gets close to empty it starts to spit grain out the top so a lid would be handy.
A big :handgestures-thumbupleft: for this product.
Dude

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback and congrats on taking the plunge
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Personally one can't go past the hand powered corona mills :handgestures-thumbupleft: as one can grist everything from a cracked grain to flour simply by changing the plate setting.

Soon the 5 Star store will have a shipment in stock and from the pic of them they look very much like the Victoria Corona mill I bought :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ok when doing a few kgs it is a workout but eh it's good exercise :o and for all those lounge lizards :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: a bit of exercise won't go astray :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:12 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Personally one can't go past the hand powered corona mills :handgestures-thumbupleft: as one can grist everything from a cracked grain to flour simply by changing the plate setting.

Soon the 5 Star store will have a shipment in stock and from the pic of them they look very much like the Victoria Corona mill I bought :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ok when doing a few kgs it is a workout but eh it's good exercise :o and for all those lounge lizards :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: a bit of exercise won't go astray :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan

We dont need anymore ashtrays mate, that is what got us doing nothing in the first place.

Oh wait maybe it does not say ashtray....damm my aged eyes :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:45 pm

Looks like Amazon have jacked up the price of these through the roof
Wellsy

Postby hjubm2 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:17 pm

Wellsy wrote:Looks like Amazon have jacked up the price of these through the roof

Ebay is just as bad. I've been following the prices for awhile trying to get a decent deal but they seem to go up every month or so. Was $260ish 6 months ago but now the same this is around $350!
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby The Stig » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:24 pm

I can tell you why they are going up.
It’s the cost of shipping from China, before COVID it’s easier around $10/kg now it’s as high as $$45/kg
Sea freight went from around $2/kg to around $20
So if a business is going to survive they either swallow it and work on larger turnover for the profit or put the prices up or they just go under
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:44 pm

Thanks Stig
That makes sense, so now we just wait for covid to go away. Errrr might need another plan lol
Wellsy

Return to The Mash tun