Bread wash

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Bread wash

Postby crow » Sat May 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Ok with the fig experiment drawing to a close in the next couple of weeks I'm looking to my next adventure . Anyway in my quest to make a nice drink out of things I have or can get cheap I was thinking left over bread . I've been reading all the gain mashing methods around here and thought to myself stale bread , I mean the jobs half done isn't it . I was thinking there might be a possibility that such a wash might carry over a mild whiskey flavor , has anyone tried this
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Bread wash

Postby kiwikeg » Sat May 19, 2012 8:40 pm

never tried it seen posts about tho over on HD
I think its a traditional recipe in eastern europe but cant rember what its called
I have heard old bread is a staple ingrediant in prison cell pruno.... :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby crow » Sat May 19, 2012 8:51 pm

I looked on HD couldn't find to much , one joker used it with heaps of sugar to make a fast ferment vodka and said it had a smoothness to it which made me think if you treated it like a mash and ran it through a pot might pay divot ends ...or not
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kiwikeg » Sat May 19, 2012 9:04 pm

kiwikeg

Postby crow » Sat May 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Hey thanks kk the first and 3rd links weren't of any use but the 2nd one was spot on , at least I know its a goer now . i might try it with malt rather that try and source there exotic enzyme yeast though and I might try to find out what the shop here does with they'er stale kibble and whole grain chook screenings shit , bread (I don't eat that shit)
crow

Bread wash

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat May 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Hmmmm. As a serious 'backyard brewer' I have to say the bread in those links add fuck all to the ferment or flavour. #2 would get all the ABV from the sugar I reckon.

If I was in prison my mates say I could get them drunk with a dirty sock and a fruitbox given enough time!
:-))

So not sure what the point or flavour is in these with bread? Sounds peasant desperate and more about tradition than flavour.

My tip for cheap piss would be any simple carbohydrate juice like blackcurrant or apple (never orange or any acidic juice & nothing with preservatives), yeast and more sugar.

I've done this in my early days (in a fucking bucket and glad wrap with no sterilisation) and made a drinkable 12% swigger and you wait and filter it.

As a beer brewer this makes me cringe and roll my eyes. Now I freak if it's not sterile EVERYTHING and liquid wyeast with imported hops and temperature control...

BUT: you knock up a 10% cheapie & run it through a reflux? That's a shitload better than leftover bread peasant wine!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Sun May 20, 2012 11:29 am

yeah I wasn't interested in Russian bread wine or yankie bread vodka , it was the south African bread whiskey sort of thing I was thinking about but its probably a waste of time seeing as grain is not that expensive . Just an idea I dreamed up one night
crow

Postby kiwikeg » Sun May 20, 2012 5:50 pm

@ BYB you are correct link #2 would be 4 kg sugar wash made up to 20 L total volume and should have an 1.077 SG
and should produce a wash of 11.8% alcohol
so the bread would be adding f-all to the ABV but i think would it would add nutrients and flavour if wholegrain breads were used.

It would probily taste like arse but till someone tries and reports back....

I used to freak about sterilisation but now a good rinse out and sunlight does the trick unless its a expensive wash then i give everything a soak overnight in a weak janola solution.
kiwikeg

Postby crow » Sun May 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Yeah but ppl all the uncooked unmalted mash recipes are like this weather its UJ's or burboun knock off weatbix of any off those , they all rely on the sugar content for 4 5ths of the ABV and some sort of grain base for flavor so I guess technically you could call them whiskey flavored schnapps or vodka
crow

Postby crow » Sun May 20, 2012 10:07 pm

K combination of posts here and PM's might scratch this brainstorm up as one to look into after a nuclear holocaust or world wide depression
crow

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Dont worry crow you will only have to wait until November :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49 am

Have a look at sprouting grain in bags and then mashing the sprouted grain .Tested some water from the hot water tap and was 63 °C close to temperature needed.
wynnum1

Postby crow » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:50 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Dont worry crow you will only have to wait until November :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:

Why November ? , carbon tax come in in July I thought
crow

Bread wash

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Isn't the world supposed to end in november according to the Mayans?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to The Mash tun