Maximising Mash Efficiency

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Maximising Mash Efficiency

Postby FatManDancing » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:15 am

O.K

So last mash I did was 2.5kg of malted rye, 2.5 kg of rolled rye and 1kg of black forest rye

I only got to 1055 on this mash. I did the iodine test that confirmed that all starches were converted. I even added a cap of alpha amylase

Previously I have mashed 5kg of malted rye and 1kg of black forest and have done this a number of times and consistantly hit 1065

I think there is something being missed here. I don't understasnd why 6kg of of malted rye would yield 10 gravity points higher when the unmalted rye should have all its starches already converted

My mash routine is

6kg grain, mash at 65 C. I never try to hit strike water temp. I start mashing in when I see 62 and stir like crazy as I add the grain and then let it free rise until temp is reached and then start the pump over the mash bed until temp is reached and hold forat least 60 minutes
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Re: Maximising Mash Efficiency

Postby howard » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:03 pm

not an expert on this, but i put that grain bill into the grainfather app and it came up with 1.055 as the OG.
6kg of malted rye was 1.061
Last edited by howard on Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby BlasphemousB » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 pm

Different grains (even the same grain different brand) will have different potentials. I would definitely recommend punching in your recipes into a brewing tool like BeerSmith or BrewFather to save yourself some surprises.
BlasphemousB

equipment: 3" 5 Plate Bubbler (glass and modular) on a 35L Brewzilla

Postby howard » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:04 am

also, i'm not sure how crucial strike water temp is.
the beer brewers seem pretty anal about it, and for my AG beers, i do use the online calculator so my water is usually about 71c before adding grain, so it's 65c after the grain goes in.
it looks like, as well as the rolled rye & black forest rye have little or no DP, one HBS supplier had some warnings and advice when using rolled rye which i was unaware of (i am just starting to go down the rye path as well)
i quote from their site-
One important factor to consider is rye’s high β-glucan content. β-Glucans — starches made up of long strands of glucose molecules — greatly increase wort viscosity. A slow runoff and sparge time can be expected; given rye’s high β-glucan and protein profile, filtration problems and a set mash are typical problems.

"When brewing with rye, it is a good idea to keep the following hints in mind:

One important factor to consider is rye’s high β-glucan content. β-Glucans — starches made up of long strands of glucose molecules — greatly increase wort viscosity. A slow runoff and sparge time can be expected; given rye’s high β-glucan and protein profile, filtration problems and a set mash are typical problems.

When brewing with rye, it is a good idea to keep the following hints in mind:

Increase the mash temperature 1–2 degrees to increase the runoff (note: increasing the temperature too much creates off flavors, so care is required)
Add extra water to the mash, as needed, to keep it as thin as possible
Give the mash a good beta glucan rest
A simple one-step infusion is best, especially if you use a lot of rye in your recipe
Use good equipment
Avoid combining rye with raw barley; raw barley also has high levels of β-glucans, and this could make for an extremely sticky combination."
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby BlasphemousB » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:17 pm

Strike Temp is really only critical if you're not heating during the mash. I've got a brewzilla so can heat up as required.

I'd say ensuring you're inside the 63-67c mark is going to maximize your efficiency. A couple of degrees lost is no biggy.

I used to brew in a bag on the stove top and just dump everything in a the start then bring it up to temp before cutting the gas (make sure you have a trivet inside the pot to stop the bag scorching) and giving it a blankie to snuggle for 90mins.

65c for 60mins followed by a mash out of 75c for maximal alcohol yield.

You can achieve this with BIAB by turning on the gas again after an hour and slowly bringing it up to the boil. Once it gets to 75-80c you can hang the bag up to catch the drips.

PS. I boil my wash because I no chill if you plan on fermenting straight away cut the gas at 85c and get it as cold as quickly as possible before shifting over to your fementer.

Have a read of John Palmer's How to Brew. I think it's ed. 4 now so has specific instructions on BIAB when I started brewing BIAB was the hottest new thing and still under debate. Now it's a no brainer even some commercial equipment follows the same philosophy
BlasphemousB

equipment: 3" 5 Plate Bubbler (glass and modular) on a 35L Brewzilla

Postby FatManDancing » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanks Howard and Blasphemous for your response

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I have been completely preoccupied whith the march of the Mighty, Mighty Bulldogs and their demolition of Port Adelaide to storm into another Grand Final and everything yhat goes along with that

I did do a mash on Friday though. 2.5 kg of rolled rye ans 2.5 kg of malted rye. I would have liked to replicate everything but I am out of black forest rye and where I bought it is out of stock and since I paid that much for it there I am not prepared to pay so much more elsewhere

I got 104...something. Silly me forgot to take a reading before dumping about a kilo of DME to boost gravity to 1051

I had read that about the B Glucans but I have always taken it to mean that it can lead to stuck sparges. I grind rye at 0.89mm twice on a three roller mill and always add rice hulls, at least two big handfuls to prvent a stuck sparge

If I remember correctly a protien rest is at about 54 degrees Celcius for 10 mins. That may be beneficial as you ramp temp to mashing. Will at least try next time as I have two mash tuns that can heat during mash with recirc. pumps

I really should look at getting brewfather or beersmith. My all grain beer brewing is all grain kits where everything is meeasured out and you get a set of instructions. This is different and means more to me but I am a terrible note taker

*Edit*

Go You Dogs!!
Last edited by FatManDancing on Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Return to The Mash tun