S.S hammer mill

all about mashing and fermenting grains

S.S hammer mill

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:10 pm

G'Day Guy's,
About a month ago found out I could of got a ton of apples for $160 :scared-eek: and one does need a mill for when these offers come around again me thinks :think:

Now as the cost the S.S to make this 100% S.S will cost close to a bomb :scared-eek:

So my thoughts are to use some 3mm S.S plate and roll the inner ring to suit some thick wall metal pipe, then for the side plates line it again 3mm S.S plate. Now for the hammer part 100x10mm S.S flat bar can be used as the hammers where the central block to hold the hammers will be made from S.S scrap and mig welded up with a SS keyed bush.

The main drive shaft as it won't be in contact with the media can be made from bright bar and thinking on using a pair of tapered bearings as the correct end float be set so the bearing last the life of the machine.

I do have some 280mm pipe here and a heap of 6mm plate here at home I can take into work to cut and it is amazing what a bottle of my AG produced for that 180mm screen so getting the S.S rolled I reckon will last the life of the bottle :laughing-rolling:

Now as we do have a enginear and a life child who does it's own thing I may have to draw up a sketch and pass it by them to see what reaction I get :laughing-rolling: Now my usual way of rolling is just think of the design and go and make it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Different output screens can be made to suit the media and my thought's are a 20 kg sack of corn should be in well under a minute :laughing-rolling: where a ton of apples maybe an hour or more if a 30 micron SS screen is placed on. :laughing-rolling:

I do think 15 to 20 HP will be need to run this pump at say 350 to 400 rpm and a free engine from work can run it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: S.S hammer mill

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:47 pm

Well i was trying to work out how to process nearly 400kg of apples... feel like making a second one while your at it? :-p haha
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby lest1 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:30 pm

Hey how did you go
lest1
Site Donor

equipment: 4" 4 plate 50L 3kw
220l fermenter

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:58 pm

lest1 wrote:Hey how did you go

About as far as the quote for the S.S :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: 3mm S.S is around $450 a square meter, couple in the tapered bearing and add $300 and the hours to fabricate and machine up the parts and if the price to me came under 2K :scared-eek: I would be happy :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:13 am

You ever considered an electric shredder? See quite few people mention them on various parts of the web. Scrat it then press..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby lest1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:32 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:
lest1 wrote:Hey how did you go

About as far as the quote for the S.S :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: 3mm S.S is around $450 a square meter, couple in the tapered bearing and add $300 and the hours to fabricate and machine up the parts and if the price to me came under 2K :scared-eek: I would be happy :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

not cheap at all would have been a cool build
i think ive seen people use garden shredders
lest1
Site Donor

equipment: 4" 4 plate 50L 3kw
220l fermenter

Postby atec77 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:18 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:G'Day Guy's,
About a month ago found out I could of got a ton of apples for $160 :scared-eek: and one does need a mill for when these offers come around again me thinks :think:

Now as the cost the S.S to make this 100% S.S will cost close to a bomb :scared-eek:

So my thoughts are to use some 3mm S.S plate and roll the inner ring to suit some thick wall metal pipe, then for the side plates line it again 3mm S.S plate. Now for the hammer part 100x10mm S.S flat bar can be used as the hammers where the central block to hold the hammers will be made from S.S scrap and mig welded up with a SS keyed bush.

The main drive shaft as it won't be in contact with the media can be made from bright bar and thinking on using a pair of tapered bearings as the correct end float be set so the bearing last the life of the machine.

I do have some 280mm pipe here and a heap of 6mm plate here at home I can take into work to cut and it is amazing what a bottle of my AG produced for that 180mm screen so getting the S.S rolled I reckon will last the life of the bottle :laughing-rolling:

Now as we do have a enginear and a life child who does it's own thing I may have to draw up a sketch and pass it by them to see what reaction I get :laughing-rolling: Now my usual way of rolling is just think of the design and go and make it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Different output screens can be made to suit the media and my thought's are a 20 kg sack of corn should be in well under a minute :laughing-rolling: where a ton of apples maybe an hour or more if a 30 micron SS screen is placed on. :laughing-rolling:

I do think 15 to 20 HP will be need to run this pump at say 350 to 400 rpm and a free engine from work can run it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan

Gonna be uber expensive which I see reading down , did you know the Ozito home mulcher has a star type crushing action , perhaps opening up the hole might be an option albeit quite slow
atec77

equipment: Reflux
4 plate
6 plate

Postby Hormesis » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:05 am

Go to your home improvement store....Bunnings I think I've heard you say.... and find the cheapest kitchen sink disposal and cheapest stainless steel sink. Fab a base ...engineer a poke down tool and add your catch container.....Problem solved.
Here in the USA I can get a single bowl sink for $70 and a disposal for $70
Not as fast but MY time may not be as valuable as yours.
Good luck....or should I ask....How did it go?
Hormesis

equipment: 15.5 gal Sanke keg gas fired boiler
2" x 24" pot head
5 gal Sanke keg thumper
3/4" over 1/2 " x 37" Liebig
2" x 36" slant plate Boka w/2 helix x 9" condenser
30 gal coolant reservior w/pond pump
18 gal pharmaceutical drum fermenter
15.5 gal keg mash tun
Stolen idea parrot

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:41 am

Here in AU everything costs 3 or 4 times what you guys in the USA pay.
We call it “The Aussie Tax”
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to The Mash tun