Dried yeast ball bourbon.

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Dried yeast ball bourbon.

Postby Bob9863 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:18 pm

Along with the yellow label Angel brand yeast I've spent time playing around with the Chinese dried year balls that I use for making rice whiskey.
I started by course grinding 5kg feed store cracked corn and then boiled it for 45min till it started looking like a corn syrup.
Then I turned off the heat and added 5kg of fine ground rye.
It gave it the occasional stir till it dropped to 68° and added 1kg of coopers pail dry malt. The way I avoid lumps is by half filling a magic bullet cup with cold water and topping it up with the malt, then blending it together and stirring it in.

I let that sit covered up for an hour and a half, then put it split between two 35lt containers so there was 10lt in each, I added 2kg of steamed sticky rice and topped that up with filtered water. To that I added two ground up yeast balls in each.

That's been sitting outside in the cold with an aquarium heater in each set at 30° and checked it today.
Despite a definite cold snap it's started working good and should pick up as the balls do their thing.

How fine or course in this case I crind my corn.

How fine I grind my rye.

The yeast balls
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Re: Dried yeast ball bourbon.

Postby lest1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Hey how did it turn out
lest1
Site Donor

equipment: 4" 4 plate 50L 3kw
220l fermenter

Return to The Mash tun