1st all grain

all about mashing and fermenting grains

1st all grain

Postby Hick1960 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:57 am

Hey all,
After hours of reading and watching you tube videos, I think I have my head around all grain enough to give it a crack.
I plan to use a BIAB and mash in a 60 litre esky, hoping to get around 40 litres to run in the still.
Is there any reason I can’t do the whole process with the bag in the esky including fermenting?
Just thinking of simplifying the whole process.
Hick1960

equipment: Turbo 500
2” pot with Shotgun condenser
2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Re: 1st all grain

Postby renedox » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:07 am

Is there any reason I can’t do the whole process with the bag in the esky including fermenting?

Apart from your bag not being to handle high temperatures, I don't see why not. Most BIAB can though so, not really a concern. Its what I used to do before I found a better grain-filtering solution
renedox

equipment: Copperhead pot still

Copperhead reflux still

Air still

Postby Hick1960 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:01 pm

1st attempt a failure.
Very little conversion of starches I think due to heat loss to quickly. Even though I mashed in an esky, it’s been so cold here in vic, I still couldn’t hold the temp.
Not all lost though, I divided the mash into two seperate fermenters, added some raw sugar, pitched the yeast and away it went.
Hopefully I’ll get something out of it.
Will give it another go when the weather warms up.
Hick1960

2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:35 pm

G'Day Hick,
Eh mate what was the mash bill as this will go a long way to finding out why the mash didn't work out. Just hope you didn't think corn could just be heated up and convert as it really is a biatch to master and NOT for a first time mash.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Hick1960 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:18 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:G'Day Hick,
Eh mate what was the mash bill as this will go a long way to finding out why the mash didn't work out. Just hope you didn't think corn could just be heated up and convert as it really is a biatch to master and NOT for a first time mash.

Cheers Bryan

Hi Bryan
Was basically Brendon’s bourban recipe. Yeah I think I stuffed up with the corn not giving it enough heat or time. Got a little conversion but it cooled down way to quickly.
Will give it another go when it gets warmer and after a bit more reading.
Hick1960

2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Return to The Mash tun