Mashtun Build

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Mashtun Build

Postby hjubm2 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:50 pm

As some of you would have seen I've aquired a cheap 1200L milk tank to turn into a mash/lauter tun. The idea is to use it for infusion mashes along with being able to recirculate the liquid through the grain bed etc. It's going to be a slow build as I can get work/parts done.

Main ideas so far is getting a wedge wire false bottom screen made up & building a turner/rake system to mix the grain so I don't have to try and mix 300kg+ of wet grain... ... ... & there has been some thinking/talk about also using it as a germination tank for malting grain so the rake system will also be used to turn the grain & stop it matting together.

So question for the people in the know, what is the best design for the rake system in a lauter tun? I have seen that many different designs for them but can't find any scientific information into the best design for them. Then I will have to try and work out what size motor will be needed to turn the rakes through the grain bed & what speed it will need to be turned...

A lot of planning/research still to do...
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Return to The Mash tun