Wheat Whiskey Mash

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Wheat Whiskey Mash

Postby howard » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:46 pm

indenial wrote:Howard that is some great research you did there.
Did you end up milling finer than your first attempt?
the milling was same, run through the corona 3 times
Do you think the higher temperature was the key improvement from your initial efforts (for the high temp alpha)?
a combination of things i think.
yes, after finding the wheat liquefication temp of about 85°c, it suited my alpha enzymes 90°c ideal temp.
plus the BIAB allowed me to use heaps more water and have plenty of space for the grain to expand (5 x times it's own size apparently)

The yellow label angel yeast sure looks like an easy option.
yep, i have another wheat batch on, plus a rye/barley/choc malt on yellow angel :smile:

Are you going to distill the low wines separately to see the taste difference?

i wasn't going to................. :think:
i've been happy with the taste of ferments with yellow angel before, so i probably won't distill them separately.
with fermenting on the grain (and all ferments really) i leave the bottom bit with all the dead/tired/inactive (trub?) yeast behind.
i just drain and scrape off most of the grain to squeeze in a biab.
i had noticed that i don't get wet dog/carboard in my tails anymore, someone attributed wet dog to putting trub into the boiler.
plus, i've always accepted that there is an certain amount of waste in brewing.

NB i forgot to mention- the false bottom in a Brewzilla is not quite strong enough to support 6kg of wet grain in a BIAB. :roll:
the malt pipe is supported by the brewzilla lip, but using the BIAB, the weight bent the false bottom a bit.
i've bent it back, but if i do that method again, i will probably add a few SS bolts onto the false bottom for support.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Re: Wheat Whiskey Mash

Postby indenial » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:09 pm

howard wrote:i wasn't going to................. :think:
i've been happy with the taste of ferments with yellow angel before, so i probably won't distill them separately.
with fermenting on the grain (and all ferments really) i leave the bottom bit with all the dead/tired/inactive (trub?) yeast behind.
i just drain and scrape off most of the grain to squeeze in a biab.

I'm forgetting you are refluxing for vodka too. The difference in end products is probably negligible.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Previous

Return to The Mash tun