Peated grains for whisky

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Peated grains for whisky

Postby Jimmy1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:03 am

I was searching for a new grain for beer and found these peated malts. The site doesn't elaborate much but I'm sure an email will get some clearer details about the product.
http://www.ubrew.com.au/web/showproduct.asp?prodid=46
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Re: Peated grains for whisky

Postby R-sole » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:14 am

I was up there on monday and tasted his peated distilling malt. Very peaty. He also has a couple of other smoked malts too. Their around the $4-5 a kilo in small quantities but get much cheaper when you buy larger quantities.

Very knowledgeable fella too.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Jimmy1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 am

By the looks of the products that they stock he might be the person to talk to about making a good scotch. You must live near...ish to my neck of the woods 5Star. Trouble is its over an hour drive to the nearest HBS which is marks.
Jimmy1

25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot

Postby R-sole » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 am

Just down at Budgie for a holiday mate. I'm 4 hours away.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Brendan » Thu May 17, 2012 11:13 pm

G'day Jimmy1, (and 5Star)

I know this thread is over 9 months old, but just came across it.

I'm actually planning on heading into Mark's soon for this exact reason, to talk about Scotch and peated distilling malt. I would be fairly close to your area too by the sounds of it, Mark's is about 25mins away for me.

5Star, did you find it was "too peaty"? I wouldn't know from tasting it what I was looking for, I just know that I don't like my end product "too peaty"... :think: And how is his knowledge in terms of Whiskey?

Brendan
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby R-sole » Fri May 18, 2012 3:54 am

The local guy uses 2kg of peated malt (bairds) to 6kg of coopers light malt extract cans.
Asfar as peat taste goes i have absolutely no idea about scotch flavours as i've avoided it all my life, but he say;

"My whiskey, now entering it's second year is at 52% abv and developing rich malt with beautiful warm amber colour and medium to strong peat smokiness, not unlike an Islay malt, it is already - higher end quality."

Mark knows his shit on any subject in the production of alcohol. I didn't agree with everything he said, but he has an educated opinion.
R-sole

Postby Jimmy1 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:24 pm

I found with Mark if someone else is in the store he avoids talking about spirit production. But for alcohol he would be the most knowledgeable fella I have ever personally met.
Jimmy1

25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot

Postby kobold » Sun May 20, 2012 3:27 am

5Star wrote:The local guy uses 2kg of peated malt (bairds) to 6kg of coopers light malt extract cans.

is that a 50l recipe?
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby R-sole » Mon May 21, 2012 4:15 am

Sorry, that is for 40l
R-sole

Postby Brendan » Mon May 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Jimmy1 wrote:I found with Mark if someone else is in the store he avoids talking about spirit production. But for alcohol he would be the most knowledgeable fella I have ever personally met.

That must be why he never replied to an email I sent him on the topic! :shhh:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Frank » Mon May 21, 2012 5:41 pm

From the day I started distilling I have (basically) aimed for something, 'one day' I could describe as
"My whiskey, now entering it's second year is at 52% abv and developing rich malt with beautiful warm amber colour and medium to strong peat smokiness, not unlike an Islay malt, it is already - higher end quality."

:clap: :drool: :think: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

cant wait for further insights into the ways of the local guy...thanx 5Star
Frank

Postby Kimbo » Wed May 23, 2012 9:27 pm

kobold wrote:
5Star wrote:The local guy uses 2kg of peated malt (bairds) to 6kg of coopers light malt extract cans.

is that a 50l recipe?

Does he cook it up and ferment or does he add sugar?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby R-sole » Thu May 24, 2012 4:44 am

The malt is mashed and the malt extract added to bulk it up.

So an extract or partial mash, but without added sugar.
R-sole

Postby kobold » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:40 am

i bought 5kg of peated barley and made this three days ago with coopers light lme. it's my first beer! :dance: i kept the mash on 60-65C for an hour and at 70-72C for another two hours. i removed the grains, added the lme, heated to ~85C, kept it there for 20mins and dumped in the fermenter. i used safale s-04 (sprinkled on the surface and mixed in). the brew is bubbling at 20C in a 18C room and smells right.

how soon can i distill? should i be worried about diacetyl in this case? also, i would like to apply this data to my 20l process, but i am too new to make sense of the mashing and fermentation sections:
http://www.wormtub.com/distilleries/dis ... =Lagavulin
http://www.wormtub.com/distilleries/dis ... =Laphroaig
kobold

Postby R-sole » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:46 am

I think 10 mins is enough for the mash out stage. That's my understanding from making beer anyway. I believe that you can drag tannins out, i don't know whether they come across from the still though.
R-sole

Postby kobold » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:53 am

5Star wrote:I think 10 mins is enough for the mash out stage. That's my understanding from making beer anyway. I believe that you can drag tannins out, i don't know whether they come across from the still though.

thanks 5Star, this is definitely my learning stage. i have 4kg left for when i know what i am doing :-)
kobold

Return to The Mash tun