can someone help with this problem

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

can someone help with this problem

Postby marbaker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 am

can someone tell me i have a T500 still i am just going to clean the colume and realized there is a leak in the top of the colume were the plastic top is joined to the stainless colume it seems to me the glue was not applied all around the top of the colume it is'nt 12 months old yet is it going to be a problem with the distilling or the distiller thanks marbaker
marbaker

Re: can someone help with this problem

Postby MacStill » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 am

Yeah that could be a problem mate, is there any chance you can return it to where you purchased it? from what I know the maker of that still is fairly reputable and they should do something to help you out ;)

If not you could maybe wrap some PTFE tape around the cap and then bash it into the column?

HTH ;)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:02 am

Nice timing with this post Mar. Ive been going to put up a similar one my self for the last few days, just hadn't got around to it. Ive got exactly the same problem with mine. After the last run I did with it I was washing out the column and noticed water beading up and leaking from the same joint. I didn't notice any vapor escaping while the still was actually in use so maybe it isn't going to be an issue. At a rough guess my stills only done about 10-12 runs and is only about 8 weeks old. I was wondering if a smear of food grade silicone around the outside of the joint might fix the problem??? By outside I mean applying it without removing the cap. I think the problem with mine may have been caused on the last run when I left my son in charge for a few mins, It was his first time using it and he turned the water adjustment tap the wrong way and got things pretty hot. Hot enough for the ALC in my cuts jar to be pretty warm. It was only at this temp for a very short while, less than 30-40 seconds I would think. I grabbed the tap and cranked it wide open which cooled every thing down again fast.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby marbaker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:49 pm

thanks mcstill and sbb for you replies i will get intouch with the shop where i got it from let them sort it out.
marbaker

Postby MacStill » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 pm

If you dont do any good there let us know, then we'll talk about other alternatives ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Beginners Questions