Something Missing??

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Something Missing??

Postby FatManDancing » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:58 pm

So...

I took my first pull on my UJSSM today

I did five gens and collected it all together before doing a pot spirit run and was as severe with cuts as my limited knowledge allows and it has been aging for a month on 30g charred HBS oak chips and 30g light toasted apple for a month. First at 64% for two weeks at four litres and then at 52% for two weeks

I get a nice sweetness up front but then the flavour just disappears, it kinda melts off your tongue as if it really did not want to be there in the first place

Is this simply my impatience, poor wood choice or just what UJSSM is? What can I do to improve it?
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Re: Something Missing??

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:45 pm

What was the colour like mate and what was your volume for the 30g
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby FatManDancing » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:14 pm

The colour in the demijohn looks awesome. Deep brown but when you take a pour it looks like washed out diluted honey

30g of charred oak chips, 30g of light toasted apple for fourL at 64% for two weeks

30g of charred oak chips, 30 g of light toasted apple for fiveL at 52% for two weeks
Last edited by FatManDancing on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:46 pm

I suspect you need to be okaying for longer mate, with chips you have to be careful as they can overdo it quickly.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby WhiskeySour » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:17 pm

I only ever used HBS chips once and they just added a woody flavour to my CFW, not something I was looking for

Dominoes from 5star are the way to go, even they will just give you a woody flavour until about 2 months in when the vanilla and sweetness starts to come around. Can't rush this process unfortunately
You could try increasing the volume of Oak, although with chips you may end up pulling way to much tannin and wreck the lot of it. Get some dominoes, you won't regret
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby RC Al » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:42 pm

Ive had a couple goes at it, happy ish with the second go around, but being in need of drinkable, I pretty much ran each gen on its own. There is a big difference between the gens, im aware that the recipe tells you to do as you have and run all the first four or five together, but there are many variables in that many washes including the amount of backset used vs the flavour gained. This also prompted me into doing a generational sweet mash, same but no backset at all, different drink again every gen.

Do a gen 6 run by itself, this is where I upped my fermenter size to get a good usable amount per gen and from my prevous go, aware things would get intresting from there.

Have you had a lacto infection? i cant recomended it highly enough for any corn based wash, I specifically dont seal my fermenters well, hoping that it happens.

Most likey the earlier gens "lightness" diluted the expected flavour, dont expect a store bought bourbon taste either, this is actual moonshine, without barley or rye - its way different.

I havent oaked anything yet, but i can assure you my white uj dosent dissapear from the tounge. From other peoples gear ive tried, charred only is the way to fly for true bourbon (ish) flavour..

Managing the amount of backset is the trick to this wash and making sure it fires each time vs adding flavour is the ballance. It doesn't hurt to skip the backset for a gen if the ph is right down to start with
Last edited by RC Al on Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby FatManDancing » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:52 am

Thanks, that is some good info and advice there

I do now have some dominoes, medium toast and I have decanted to new demijohns and added one to each. I will give it some more time and see what happens

RC, I have fiveL of gen five backset in the freezer and an empty fermenter, may as well get that cranking today. Great idea to do a single run and compare

No lacto infection. I stripped and chilled backset and got next gen all started within a few hours. It still spins me out that in stillin you are looking for your beer to go bad and it is actually desirable

Maybe I should try that. Do I just dump some yogurt or similar in or leave it in the sun for a few days?

I better make a decision quick because it is Australia day which means beers for breakfast and I will need to go the shops :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby bluess57 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:41 am

FatManDancing wrote:So...

I took my first pull on my UJSSM today

I did five gens and collected it all together before doing a pot spirit run and was as severe with cuts as my limited knowledge allows and it has been aging for a month on 30g charred HBS oak chips and 30g light toasted apple for a month. First at 64% for two weeks at four litres and then at 52% for two weeks

I get a nice sweetness up front but then the flavour just disappears, it kinda melts off your tongue as if it really did not want to be there in the first place

Is this simply my impatience, poor wood choice or just what UJSSM is? What can I do to improve it?

IMO UJSSM requires at least 6 months on oak before it develops and by 12 months its good.
Give yours some more time.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby FatManDancing » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:46 am

Thanks bluess. I thought I knew low and slow, my longest cook was 28 hours for a pork shoulder but this game...

It is raining ATM and my mates are cooking a traditional Australia day lunch of chicken and pork while huddled in the limited shelter in my backyard. The plan was to go to the park later and invite everyone else over to share what we cooked but that probably will not happen now.

While they have been cooking(standing around a BBQ) I have been reading about infecting and souring a wash. I am gonna add two tablespoons of yogurt to a wash of four KG of inverted sugar, FiveL of backset, Four KG of corn to a total volume of 25L. I am also gonna gelatinize the corn
Last edited by FatManDancing on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby bluess57 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 pm

FatManDancing wrote:Thanks bluess. I thought I knew low and slow, my longest cook was 28 hours for a pork shoulder but this game...

It is raining ATM and my mates are cooking a traditional Australia day lunch of chicken and pork while huddled in the limited shelter in my backyard. The plan was to go to the park later and invite everyone else over to share what we cooked but that probably will not happen now.

While they have been cooking(standing around a BBQ) I have been reading about infecting and souring a wash. I am gonna add two tablespoons of yogurt to a wash of four KG of inverted sugar, FiveL of backset, Four KG of corn to a total volume of 25L. I am also gonna gelatinize the corn

Gelatinizing corn is a bit of a PIA , why bother for a sugar head? unless you add malt/enzymes and do a corn All Grain mash.
Really no need for the yogurt but try if you want. Read up on making a corn sour starter. (eg. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=46340)
Also the feed/stock corn I have, it didn't produce a lot of fermentable sugars, last time I did a mash with it
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Nathan02 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:24 pm

The only way to oak uj or bourbon washes is heavily charred virgin american oak staves or barrel. Forget everything else including overpriced and underwhelming HBS chips.
Last edited by Nathan02 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:30 pm

I have used the five star dominoes both French oak and American oak.
Wellsy

Postby FatManDancing » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:15 am

I made the decision to gelatinize the corn because I am gonna invert the sugar. Can't hurt, might help. Not looking for starch conversion, simply an enhanced corn flavour

In the end I did a sour corn starter. It has only been a coupla days but this stuff smells rank. I am using stock feed corn, should be plenty of buge there. The link posted by Bluess is worth reading, Cheers bud
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Return to Beginners Questions