Day 11

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Day 11

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:16 pm

Here's a pic of what has been happening for the last 2 hrs. I am told it takes an hour to heat up, and a further hour to distil 800ml. After 2 hrs this is what I have. Do I pull the pin and throw it all out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

equipment: AirStill

Postby Carol » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Do you have an alcometer? That will give you the percent of alcohol You might something tall and thin to transfer the liquid to.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:32 pm

Yes Sam I got your pm and will contact you in a day or two mate.
I would also suggest you a glass collection bowl mate.
If you don’t need the wash it’s not a hassle mate I will still drop in some stuff to try. I was very surprised at how good it was and how quickly. Every other home brew spirit I had tried was terrible but I thought all the people on this forum can’t be wrong so took a leap of faith and was pleasantly surprised. I have been helped and advised by so many here it is not a hassle to pass on some of the love mate :). You will find this hard to believe but I am hopeful you will be helping newbies in 6 months and this will just be another “practical learning experience “ that you will draw on.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:40 pm

No I don't Carol. I have a hydrometer that came with the kit. It kind've has an alcohol by volume scale on it, but it only ranges from 0% to 15%. If everything I saw in the tutorial videos is correct, the output from the still should be about 60%, which this doohicky will not show. As for a tube, I guess I could use the plastic tube it came in.
Wellsy, looking forward to the phone call mate
Sam Smythe

Postby Carol » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:51 pm

Hydrometer is used with the wash so you can work out when fermentation is finished. Alcometer needs to go on the shopping list too. It is important to know the percentage of alcohol you have produced. i think 5 Star has some cheap and cheerful alcometers for $5.

I found with the airstill that the distillate starts off at a high ABV and then reduces. For example, today I used the airstill to distill some gin extract. Starts off at over 60% ABV and I turned it off when it dropped to 10%. Overall came out at 50% ( about 1 litre).
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:52 pm

Carol, I just measured it. I couldn't read the result in ABV, but the specific gravity was the same after distilling as when it had finished fermenting: 0.900. I've pulled the pin and turned it off. I also dipped my finger in and had a taste. It sure as hell wasn't vodka
And yeah, I will put alcometer on the shopping list if Wellsy lifts my spirits ( pardon the pun) to have another crack. Nothing will be happening here though until I get a fix or replacement from the retailer. In the meantime, thanks again for all your help
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

Postby Carol » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:05 pm

When Wellsy visits (and lifts your spirits with samples of his home brew) you can ask more questions and he can explain the processes to you. It is easier when someone can explain it to you.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:33 pm

Thank you :smile:
Oh, and one last thing. I tried to google 5 star, but all I came up with was hotels :)) Can you give me a little more info please. Is it a SA shop?
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Last edited by The Stig on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:53 pm

Sam Smythe wrote:Thank you :smile:
Oh, and one last thing. I tried to google 5 star, but all I came up with was hotels :)) Can you give me a little more info please. Is it a SA shop?

Stig beat me with the direct links :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now for the next baby step Sam :handgestures-thumbupleft:

at the top of the forum page to the right of the lightening bolt is a link saying "5 star Store" just click on that and next thing the shop will appear on your browser

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:00 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:
Stig beat me with the direct links :handgestures-thumbupleft:

WHO DID ?????
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:59 pm

I brought a couple of the cheap 5 star alcometers mate so I will bring one of them with me as well.

We will get you set up and on the road to self sufficiency when it comes to booze
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby BradM » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:30 pm

Sam Smythe wrote:Thank you :smile:

Link is also at the top of each page - next to the lightning bolt.
You are actually in their forum.
BradM

equipment: Pure Distilling boka. 1st edition.

Postby Sam Smythe » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:57 am

Wellsy, you are an absolute legend! Thank you
Sam Smythe

Postby Sam Smythe » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:58 am

Thanks BradM, yes, I had already found it, but thanks for your input
Sam Smythe

Postby mike23000 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:13 pm

Hi Sam,

Mikey here, It's pretty normal to get some funky smells, the main thing is is that the SG keeps dropping.

I have just upgraded from an Air Still myself. After one run of the turbo yeast/carbon satchels/degassing/clearing agent stuff they sell you with the unit I moved on to a Tomato paste wash (TPW). Worked well for me, and everything from the supermarket!

Good luck, I'll keep an eye out for stuff you post and answer, If I can, any questions about your Air Still.

Cheers Mikey
mike23000

equipment: 2" Alcoengine on digiboil boiler
Air Still

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:27 pm

I had a visit from Wellsy today. What an awesome man, and a fair bit in common, not least of which is a hatred of Collingwood lol. We had a chat over a few beers and a home made bourbon he brought round. Prior to him coming round I actually got the still working ( thanks Carol). Wellsy was here while the still was working. It seems I am distilling water. I will try again! It seems the wash wasn't right. This is not a discussion topic, I totally trust what I have been told
Thank you for your input and your friendship Wellsy, I will find a way to reciprocate. The afternoon I spent talking to you was above and beyond, and very ,very awesome. I will go to to wash number 2
Jonno
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Great minds Johnno lol
Was an absolute pleasure to spend some time with you.
Lucky for me you have difficulty breathing as it means you done say much. You may have noticed I can’t breath put without talking lol.
Oh and the promised eye candy when I was leaving did not eventuate :laughing-rolling:. I must have frightened her as she was dressed :laughing-rolling:
We will definitely do it again mate. I will get a WBAB wash going next weekend soi can bring some around to test out your still. Don’t drink everything in one night mate it will bite you lol
Wellsy

Postby Carol » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:50 pm

Gold star to Wellsy for helping out Johnno. Gold star to Johnno for getting the still going. The beginning of a great collaboration ! Onwards and upwards as they say in the classics.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:57 pm

Always great to see members helping other members, good work :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions