Old Beer

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Old Beer

Postby McMoonshineMatt » Thu May 06, 2021 11:12 am

Sam. wrote:
McMoonshineMatt wrote:
Wellsy wrote:Hello Matt
The simplistic answer is if you want high ABV neutral to add essences too, or to add botanicals too for gin etc, then reflux is the way to go on your spirit run. As part of the reflux process that gets the ABV high also strips out flavour.
If you want to keep the flavour then it is pot still mode on your spirit run.
Given you are starting with such a lovely base flavour it seems a shame to strip it back to the same output as a tomato paste wash but using a reflux spirit run. I would be using the pot still mode.
I hope that makes sense

Yeah mate cheers hey! I also watched a couple more vids, YouTube is a wonderful thing!!
But as I learnt with AG, nothing beats hands on experience. I will ferment that Stout but tell me Wellsy, if I was making beer I would use 1 satchel of yeast. Assuming I’m using US-04 would one be sufficient or more. I’m thinking with the added dextrose 1 satchel would stress trying to chew up that much sugar?

Can always make a starter if you are worried about underpitching the yeast.

Also just be careful with you tube and distilling, there is a lot of misinformation out there ranging from bad practice to downright dangerous.

Ok thanks Sam. To be on the safe side if im trying anything new or not sure of, ill post it on here and see what the board thinks. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
McMoonshineMatt

equipment: Turbo 500 Copper Column
Still Spirit Alembic Copper Dome and Condenser

Postby Dancing4dan » Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 am

Here is the result after one week on my flavour infused oak. The Marsala (Sherry ish) flavor, oak, vanilla flavours come through well. Few more days to add a little more oak so when it is diluted to drinking strength it will carry over. Then put away to rest a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dancing4dan

equipment: Pot still modular design that can use a beer keg or a 70 L SS pot. Steam distillation in development.

Postby Lowie » Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 pm

bluc wrote:if your sure it unhoped run it, you will get whisky. I have heard from numerous places that hopped whiskey is not great and not worth the effort..

I ran 20 litres of a mates heavily hopped beer through my still for an experiment. tasted bloody awful and made a fair mess of my boiler. never again. But, I have run a lager and it came out pretty good.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby BSC_Kilby » Wed May 19, 2021 9:53 am

Lowie wrote:
bluc wrote:if your sure it unhoped run it, you will get whisky. I have heard from numerous places that hopped whiskey is not great and not worth the effort..

I ran 20 litres of a mates heavily hopped beer through my still for an experiment. tasted bloody awful and made a fair mess of my boiler. never again. But, I have run a lager and it came out pretty good.

Anything with significant hop profile benefits from being put in glass or stainless storage and left alone for 12 months. I've never come across a hoppy beer that's distilled that was drinkable under that. Wood doesn't help prior to this point either. If it was me I'd let it sit for 12 months and then make a call about wether it was going on oak or remaining a white spirit.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Postby Dancing4dan » Thu May 20, 2021 9:37 am

After two and a half weeks on oak and this turned out real good! Diluted down to 44% with distilled water. Pretty surprised at how well it turned out.

That beer was not hopped.
Dancing4dan

equipment: Pot still modular design that can use a beer keg or a 70 L SS pot. Steam distillation in development.

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions