Licensing?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Licensing?

Postby Jay' » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:17 am

Apologies if this is already posted about elsewhere but I was looking for information about the "licence to manufacture excisable products – alcohol" we are supposed to get for stills above 5L. It reads like you are supposed to keep production records and pay tax on amounts produced, does anyone have any calculators or information about this for home distillers in Australia?
Jay'

equipment: Just starting out, looking at my reflection in a pot still.

Re: Licensing?

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:36 am

Afaik they wont give a license to home producers for personal use. Only to a company..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:57 am

And the 5L thing is rubbish , all stills irrelevant of size are illegal unless you have a license .
U less your thinking of moving into legal distilling it’s not something you should be thinking about.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Jay' » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:59 am

I see, I also found this update to the laws here:

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2006A00074

It all seems like it does not really matter if you are too small for the government to extract significant money out of and they aren't looking for an excuse to come after you for whatever other reason. Like most people here I wouldn't be making any significant quantities in any case.
Jay'

equipment: Just starting out, looking at my reflection in a pot still.

Postby The Stig » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:15 pm

How about dropping into the welcome center and doing an intro :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Say g’day , we don’t bite , unless asked nicely to :happy-partydance:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:16 am

Hello Jay
Once you start looking into it you soon discover it becomes almost impossible. Council laws are massive, commercial kitchen, disability access, land zoning, neighbour approvals, building licences, second drains etc etc. then you have the water board for disposal of waste, potentially fire hazard restrictions, insurances. Bonded storage the list goes on, as they do not care about how much you produce the same rules apply.
I would suggest unless doing it commercially you just keep your head down, enjoy what you produce and do not give anybody a reason to look at what you are doing
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Beginners Questions