First run fail!

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First run fail!

Postby grehund » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Ok, so I did my first "test run" in my newly built 2" Boka today.
It's specs are:
> Column: 50mm Diameter, 1035mm High, Copper
> Packing: 720mm High, Stainless Steel Scrubbers
> Boiler: 25L capacity, 1800W heater (no heating control)

I used a 4L box of wine at 9.5% ABV. I followed Husker's instructions, from here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13265 I think I must have done something wrong, here's why:

Firstly:
I only have 1 thermometer, between the plates (as designed). The temp readings there were bouncing around constantly, they never stopped bouncing. Most of the time the temp bounced around with about 1 degree of difference, in .2 degree increments, so I had to watch and make an estimate based on what I was seeing. For most of my run time it was bouncing between 76.6 and 77.2 C. This is the thermometer I'm using. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM7216

Can anyone suggest any causes/fixes for this issue?

Secondly:
The run took a LOT longer than I was expecting. I let it go for 4 hours in total.

It took approx 20 mins to heat up and have the vapour hit the thermometer. I then kept the column in 100% reflux for 30 mins, as instructed. (77 deg C)
At approx 50 mins I started collecting Foreshots, which lasted till approx the 90 min mark. (77 deg C)
At 90 mins I started collecting the Heads, which ran until about 130 min mark, then I noticed a changed in smell so I switched to a different container. (78 deg C)
From 130 mins to 170 mins I collected the last of the Heads, but I never detected the smell or taste leaving completely. It always smelt like nail polish to me. (78.3 deg C)
At 170 mins I switched to my Hearts container, even though I wasn't sure if I was actually there yet. (78.3 deg C)
From 170 mins to 190 mins, I collected "Hearts". (78.3 deg C)
At 190 mins, I noticed the smell & taste seemed to weaken, so I switched to another container. (78.3 deg C)
From 190 mins to 220 mins I collected, what I thought may be Hearts. (78.5 deg C)
At 220 mins, I decided to go back to full reflux for 15 mins and see what happens. (79.2 deg C)
When I came off full reflux, I detected the "wet cardboard" smell that has been mentioned here, so I knew I was at the tails. (79.2 deg C)
I collected Tails until the 240 min mark when I called it quits. (83 deg C)

In the end, I estimate I've collected just under 400mL of distillate (inc. Foreshots). Based on the calculators on the parent site, that sounds about right for a 4L wash. Should it have taken as long as this to do it though?

Any & all feedback and assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Re: First run fail!

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:22 pm

I would say your boiler charge was so small it didnt have enough alcohol to fill your column with reflux, let alone reach equilibrium ;)

Think about this.

You used a charge of 4L @ 9.5% and got 400ml of alcohol from your still........ pretty fucken good considering your column would hold more than that in reflux/vapor alone ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby maheel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:59 pm

get something fermenting ASAP :) for another test run

like McStill said sounds like it did ok on the small charge.

then it's time for some stripping and 20L of 40% in there i reckon :)
maheel

Postby grehund » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks guys, good to know I'm on the right track. :D I didn't realize the impact a small wash would have on the process. :o
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Return to Beginners Questions