FG of UJSM Wash

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

FG of UJSM Wash

Postby SBB » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:47 am

I understand that its hard to get a FG on Molasses washes because of the impurities and muck in the wash. Does the same apply to UJSM wash???.....to me it looks like a pretty clear clean wash and Im thinking I should be able to get a good reading.
Im asking because my UJSM washes never seem to completely stop bubbling.....just slow right down. At the moment I get a reading of very close to 990 so going by that they should be almost ready to run.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: FG of UJSM Wash

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Could just be excess CO2 coming out of solution?.....

Has your temp remained constant? Or has it cooled off towards the end slowing the yeasties down?

If you have the patience I would wait a few more days....but then again the weekend is just around the corner :)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: FG of UJSM Wash

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Id say a 990 reading would be pretty close to done but I have read that the floaties may impact on the reading.

I usually wait until its definitely stopped bubbling and gets pretty clear, usually a few days after obvious bubbling ceases.
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Return to Beginners Questions