Dextrose

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Dextrose

Postby wld trky » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:09 am

I have been using the TPW for a month now and I like the outcome with normal sugar. My question is has anybody tried dextrose in place of the sugar and if so what results did you get?
wld trky

equipment: T500

Re: Dextrose

Postby maheel » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:21 am

i know you have to use a little more dex for the same per KG / ALC as sugar

it "might" be a tiny bit cleaner being more processed but is also going to depend on the environment and temps etc you ferment at.

best way is to try one and see if it's better in your opinon
maheel

Postby R-sole » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:31 am

Dextrose is a simpler sugar. there fore in theory the yeast have to put in less effort to use it. I've found the difference in abv to be about 10% less sugar than dextrose, so use 1.1 dex in place of sugar.

Definately a good way to go if you can get it cheap enough, getting it for a dollar a kilo here when the dextrose fairy hasn't come.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby jeracoo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 am

Damn $1 a kilo for dextrose lucky bastard.
jeracoo

equipment: T500 with special pot still made by McStill himself

Postby wld trky » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Went to Big W found it in the brewing section for $2.98 a kilo. Got 5 kilo of it to see if there is any difference to homebrand white sugar. Still better than $50 for a brewcraft kit. :)
wld trky

Postby R-sole » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:57 pm

jeracoo wrote:Damn $1 a kilo for dextrose lucky bastard.

I was getting it for nothing before :lol: :lol:

I don't use it now i'm doing all grain beer. I have about 40 kg that will end up in a sugar mash one day i guess :roll:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby 8-ball » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 pm

i had been using dextrose for the last 7 months maybe a bit longer as i was given 100kg of it for free i really couldn't tell the difference other than it dissolved alot easier without using hot water and it smelt better than the normal sugar im using now

i did have to use more than sugar i have notice as i was getting about 3lts of good drinking neutral from a 30lt wash now using the same about of sugar as dextrose im getting about 4.5lts of drinking neutral
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Also try inverting cane sugar by adding acid and heating like citric acid phosphoric acid or vinegar one old book i have says boil for 20 minutes .
wynnum1

Postby R-sole » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Yep that will give you a sugar as simple as dextrose.
R-sole

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:37 pm

5Star wrote:Yep that will give you a sugar as simple as dextrose.

Hence McStill's TPW recipe (at the start of that thread) uses white sugar and citric acid(?) :think:
It sure works for me anyway WLD TRKY....cheaper than dextrose, easier to get ingredients AND bugger all diff re fermented ABV%.
Frank

Postby wld trky » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:33 am

Ran the dextrose and the only difference I found was it smelt sweeter like a turbo wash. I haven't tasted it yet so I will be interested in what the flavor will be. I'm glad that I have done the dextrose wash but I agree with what everyone else has said. Sugar is cheaper and will be my choice from now on.

Cheers for everybody's help and input. :text-thankyoublue:
wld trky

Return to Beginners Questions