Storing UJSM Type Washes

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Storing UJSM Type Washes

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:41 am

Im wondering if its ok to store UJSM type washes for a period of time.
The plan is to rack it off into a clean fermenter then store for a few weeks. The reason for this is that I have 3 fermenters going. I get a 40 Litre stripping run from 2 of them....and end up with 20L left over.
I can used the backset/dunder from the 40L strip run to kick of the third fermenter again. and then have 80L to strip every second time.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Storing UJSM Type Washes

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Don't see how it van hurt it,I left 100l of UJSM for nearly 3 weeks before I got around to stripping it,and it was perfectly fine,although I never took the lid off either
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Finished reading a book called "making pure corn whisky" and in that it talks about a lot of the big boys running it through the still as soon as the "primary" fermentation has stopped (ie the crazy bubbling and foaming has stopped but it will still be slowly bubbling) This is apparently that the final stages of fermentation can actually produce undesireable flavours in the finished product.

Not sure what the off flavours are but I would have thought that boiling the active yeast would impart worse flvours, maybe the short time is more of a profit process?

As for how long you can store for beer they recommend that 3 weeks should be the maximum is is left on the yeast cake otherwise "autoylsis" will start (yeast eating itself) which will produce bad flavours. I assume that this would also be the case with a UJSM wash (unless you have stressed the yeast out with a high alc content and killed it!)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby R-sole » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:03 am

It'll be fine. You're only drinking the steam.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:34 am

Ok thanks for the answers folks.
S&L I didn notice in the UJSM thread on HD that they mentioned something about secondary fermentation and that it might not be a good thing. I figure once its racked off from the grains there's not going to be much for any yeast to feed on so it should stop this.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:20 am

I put some in smaller containers like 3 l fruit juice or 5 l clean chemical containers like detergent or bleach can be hard to get clean you can put these in a fridge and sediment will settle on bottom the other way to store is throw some alcohol in and higher % will preserve 24 % alcohol
wynnum1

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Yeah if you let it settle a bit first, then rack it to a secondary there won't be any of the autolysis with the yeast.

Also with the secondary ferment part that would only be relevant if you were using grains as part of the sugars. The recipe I have seen for UJSM is just corn and sugar so you would only be using the corn for flavour so the secondary should not make a difference anyway (even if you did a all grain batch I doubt the secondary would make much of a difference, but then again I am sure the guys that wrote the book I read know a fuck load more than me about this :lol: )
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions