Day 11

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Day 11

Postby Sam Smythe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:44 pm

Hi guys,
I have had my very first wash on now for 11 days. The destructions I got with the AirStill kit and you tube vids I saw indicated that the wash should be ready after about 7 days. It is still sitting at an SG of 1.000, although it is going down. The temperature has always been between 20 to 24 deg C. Have I done something wrong, or is the wash buggered?
Thanks in advance, Sam
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Smythe

equipment: AirStill

Re: Day 11

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:52 pm

Just be patient Sam
If it is still dropping it is still working mate so it’s all good. It is amazing how much variation there is in washes even when using the same recipe.
You are aiming to get to .990 in an ideal world
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:01 pm

What wash is it ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Sam Smythe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:26 pm

Thank you Wellsy, I will stay patient. The Stig,... Being new, I'm sorry, I didnt know what you mean with what wash is it? It was 7.5 litres of water, in a 10 litre bucket sterilsed with the "no rinse" sterilisattion sachet, and the Turbo yeast sachet added. Oh, and 3.5 kg of sugar
Sam Smythe

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:29 pm

Sam Smythe wrote:Thank you Wellsy, I will stay patient. The Stig,... Being new, I'm sorry, I didnt know what you mean with what wash is it? It was 7.5 litres of water, in a 10 litre bucket sterilsed with the "no rinse" sterilisattion sachet, and the Turbo yeast sachet added. Oh, and 3.5 kg of sugar

Look like it will be good for a sac run while you put down a WBAB ferment and ditch the turbo yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sam Smythe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:33 pm

As a side issue, again being an absolute newbie...if I was to buy a biiger fermenting bucket ( 25l), will that double the fermentation time, or does it remain the same due to the increased sugar and nutrient?
Sam Smythe

Postby Sam Smythe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Thanks for your response Ruddy Craze. Again, I am sorry, I am very new. I do not understand the initials you have put in to explain something. And should I not buy more Turbo yeast, and if so, why. Please don't construe this as an attack, it is not....I am ignorant and looking for any help and advice I can get
Sam Smythe

Postby chipboy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:47 pm

Sam,

WBAB = wheat bix all bran, a mixture that is called a wash when mixed with sugar, water and yeast. Your wash is water sugar and turbo yeast.

Read on in here and ask away, everyone needs to learn someway.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby Sam Smythe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Thanks Chipboy
Sam Smythe

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:11 pm

I may be wrong here but aren’t most turbo packs designed fir 25L wash ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi Sam if you go and look at the tried and true forum there is a thread called WBAB which is a wheatbix/allbran recipe and it uses lowans bread yeast. Going with a larger fermenter is the go and stripping the wash with your still in pot still mode will give you low wines. Now when you have enough low wines you water them down to 40% MAX and then do a spirit run in reflux mode. This will give a good neutral that won't need any clearing agents and can be tempered down after cuts are taken the next day to 35-40% for your drinking pleasure.

If you have any questions just ask away mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: as we will try and help you to learn to make this hobby an enjoyable one where you make the best product you can.

Regards Bryan

Edit: wrote this post 1/2 an hour ago but forgot to hit submit as I was getting nagged to go pickup my daughter
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sam Smythe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 pm

Hi Stig, and thank you for your reply. In answer to your question, I really don't know. My kit came wit a 10l bucket, and the destructions said to put in 7.5 litres of water, 3.5kg of sugar, and the full contents of the yeast and yeast nutrician sachets
Sam Smythe

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Could you take a pic of the yeast pack and show us ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:51 am

Hello Sam
Lots of abbreviations to learn mate so have a read of the newbie section Sam.
There is a topic on abbreviations and what they mean. I still refer to it lol, many do, it is a very handy tool.
The reason so many dislike the turbo yeast is mainly 2 fold. Firstly many question its constitution as it was developed for the biofuel industry and no one is sure it is food grade. Secondly you get a far nicer tasting product by using other recipes at a much cheaper cost
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:19 am

H Stig, I have a pic of the yeast sachet, but how do I post it? Sorry for being such a dope
Sam Smythe

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:02 am

Click add attachment , it’s toward the bottom then upload attachment
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:03 am

Sam Smythe wrote:H Stig, I have a pic of the yeast sachet, but how do I post it? Sorry for being such a dope

Hi Sam,
When you click on post reply at the bottom of the page is a section where you attach a file, click on that then click on the next icon that comes up to upload the pic. The page will refresh then scroll down but remember first to place the cursor where you want the pic then click place inline. Then the link will be placed where you put the cursor and it is a good idea to preview your post to ensure you got it right.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby southern45 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:26 am

If you're using the gear that came with the AirStill (mine came with a 10L fermenter, way too small) with Turbo yeast and whatnot and you don't live somewhere really cold, then 11 days sounds like a long time. I think my first 10L Turbo was done in 3-4 days!

I quickly ditched the 10L bucket for a 25L fermenter and with Weet Bix washes they'd ferment out in a week. Then you can double distill and get a far cleaner product that using the Turbo rubbish and clearing chemicals. Have a read through the document I've attached for some good info on running an AirStill. With a bit of work you can get a decent enough product out of them, it just takes some effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby Sam Smythe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:31 am

Turbo_yeast_sachet[1].jpg
Thanks Stig and Ruddycrazy. Here tis....hopefully
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam Smythe

Postby Sam Smythe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:35 am

Hey Southern 45, thank you very much for the attachment regarding the Air Still, I really appreciate it. I am 1/4 way through reading it. I am also atm degassing my very first wash by stirring and reading the attachment in between stirs.
And yeah, I am seriously considering a bigger fermentation bucket, but am waiting to see what my fist attempt is like.

Guys, the wash has a fruity smell to it, is this normal and/or expected?
Kind regards to all of you who are helping me out,
Sam
Last edited by Sam Smythe on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Smythe

Next

Return to Beginners Questions